Woodnet Forums
Value of a dead bear - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Value of a dead bear (/showthread.php?tid=7321993)

Pages: 1 2

Value of a dead bear - DonJuvet - 08-22-2016

My OLD Grizzly table saw has a dead motor. It has a ton of pro shop miles on it.
5hp 220 3ph
What's it worth, as is, to someone that wants to fix it?
OR
Is it scrap metal?

I don't want to bother with it.

RE: Value of a dead bear - sweensdv2 - 08-22-2016

I think a lot would depend on the condition of the rest of the saw. Obviously the better shape the more valuable but with that in mind, a saw that has been used to the point that it used up a motor already probably isn't worth much. Unless you can find someone that already has a motor and is looking to mount it on something.

RE: Value of a dead bear - thewizzard - 08-22-2016

What model saw ? If its way out of date, what would be the best comparable model to compare it to ?

Whats the overall condition of the saw ? I don't know how you could wear-out the bulk structure of a table saw. If the mechanical components and arbor bearings are still OK then a simple motor fix or replacement may be pretty cheap.

A good motor shop may be able to fix the motor for under $100. A replacement probably would not be more than a couple hundred. If you sell it as 3-phase saw, most non-comercial users will pass. So you could also downgrade the motor to a lower HP single phase 220 and probably attract more potential buyers.

RE: Value of a dead bear - Bob10 - 08-22-2016

Do you need a replacement?  I have a 3 phase 3hp Uni for sale no fence but has long tubes

RE: Value of a dead bear - Robert Adams - 08-22-2016

Well a saw like that would run around 1k here on craigslist. Course many tools are typically priced near or above retail on cl here.

Might not be too bad to have a motor shop rebuild the motor. Personally I'd give around $200 for a saw in that condition.

RE: Value of a dead bear - DonJuvet - 08-23-2016

I'll pull the motor next week and get it into a shop for an estimate.
Bob10.... pm sent

RE: Value of a dead bear - fredhargis - 08-23-2016

The prices on older running saws seems to be all over the map. I alos see all kinds of not-running tools posted for sale. Given you don't want to tinker with it, I'd post it for maybe $250 and see what happens. I also think that's a little high, but it seems everybody wants to chisel, so you might as well give yourself some cushion.

RE: Value of a dead bear - daddo - 08-23-2016

Just get a 5hp 230v single phase motor. What RPM?

RE: Value of a dead bear - EricU - 08-23-2016

I know I'm a cynic, but I probably would put it on craigslist for $400 and see if some sucker buys it

RE: Value of a dead bear - DonJuvet - 08-23-2016

3000 rpm

and......
my bad, it is single phase. 
Raised