Woodnet Forums
It followed me home potential Gloat - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: It followed me home potential Gloat (/showthread.php?tid=7322241)

Pages: 1 2

It followed me home potential Gloat - JamesR - 08-29-2016

[Image: 20160829_184337_zpscvddly2z.jpg]

I saw it on a facebook group for sale yesterday and brought it home tonight. I swear it had the factory blade still in it.

RE: It followed me home potential Gloat - fredhargis - 08-30-2016

Nice,  but to be a gloat you have to divulge the details.

RE: It followed me home potential Gloat - Bill Wilson - 08-30-2016

You have a very nice saw there.  Whether or not it's gloat worthy depends on what you paid for it. 
Wink  

I don't know a whole lot about Hawks, other than they are very well made saws.  Bushton Mfg recently purchased the business and by most accounts have done a good job with making improvements to design and customer service.  Do you know how old it is?  I think they recently improved their blade clamps.  Any idea if this one has the newer clamps?

RE: It followed me home potential Gloat - JamesR - 08-30-2016

I paid $150 for it. It has the old style blade clamps but I plane to update them

RE: It followed me home potential Gloat - Bill Wilson - 08-30-2016

I'd say you did well.  Gloat at will! 
Big Grin

RE: It followed me home potential Gloat - packerguy® - 08-30-2016

Thats a screaming gloat. You will be VERY happy with it. 

I got the same one last year, with the magnifying lens and light for $150 and I felt like a thief.

RE: It followed me home potential Gloat - Unisaw A100 - 08-31-2016

A gloat?  I disagree.  The problem is the mis-interpretation of what a Gloat is.  As it was originally used on The Old Tools List, a gloat was when you found something of extreme rarity, something much sought after or something extremely inexpensive.  Any combination of the three ran the gloatage up and/or increased vacuum.  Also, cool factor and gizmosity played into all of this.

What we have when we buy something that's still widely available is best described as a Neener, as in "neener, neener, neener" (you wag your finger and your head rocks back and forth when you say that).

Please, don't cheapen the gloat by applying it to everything.

RE: It followed me home potential Gloat - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 09-02-2016

(08-31-2016, 07:02 PM)Unisaw A100 Wrote: A gloat?  I disagree.  The problem is the mis-interpretation of what a Gloat is.  As it was originally used on The Old Tools List, a gloat was when you found something of extreme rarity, something much sought after or something extremely inexpensive.  Any combination of the three ran the gloatage up and/or increased vacuum.  Also, cool factor and gizmosity played into all of this.

What we have when we buy something that's still widely available is best described as a Neener, as in "neener, neener, neener" (you wag your finger and your head rocks back and forth when you say that).

Please, don't cheapen the gloat by applying it to everything.

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

RE: It followed me home potential Gloat - cvillewood - 09-02-2016

Silly me, i thought a gloat was a great find at a really great price.

RE: It followed me home potential Gloat - Admiral - 09-02-2016

(09-02-2016, 10:51 AM)cvillewood Wrote: Silly me, i thought a gloat was a great find at a really great price.

Definitions morph over time. IMHO, a very worthy tool at a great price qualifies, perhaps not on the OTL, but certainly on WoodNet. Suckage quotient rises the lower the price. For example, a 90's vintage pot metal Craftsman saw would not qualify, even at $25. 

By the way, JamesR, let me be the first, you suck!  Very gloatworthy.