Woodnet Forums
New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: New parrot (vise) perched in the shop (/showthread.php?tid=7322596)

Pages: 1 2 3

New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - JimReed@Tallahassee - 09-09-2016

Since my vice is vises, I was naturally attracted to this little gizmo. It is a parrot or swivel vise which is mounted on a post horizontally or vertically. It has some pretty swift features--one is the swivel. The whole vise swivels on the mount as long as the jaws are open but the swivel locks when the vise is tightened. Cool! There is a piece on the static jaw that rides on the bottom of the dynamic. The dynamic bottom is slanted so it locks the vise on the post as the jaws close. It even works with additional jaws attached to the faces. I added a base and a new set of hickory jaws. Now I am ready for a clamping adventure. Anyone else have one of these?

[Image: DSCN0570.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0571.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0572.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0573.jpg]

RE: New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - paarker - 09-09-2016

I always thought one of those would be handy on my gun bench.

RE: New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - Admiral - 09-09-2016

I wish they'd make the jaws longer on these knockoffs; the original Gyro vice has much taller jaws, half again of this model, which is what would attract me to this.  Blacky's Boy should step in and comment as I know he has one, or two!  I guess the casting to make the jaws stout must be expensive so they shortened them.

[Image: versavise02.jpg]

RE: New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - Stwood_ - 09-09-2016

I've got one of the knockoffs from Garrett Wade. First one was trash. Returned and got one somewhat better. I built a swivel holder for it. Trying to find the darn pics....

RE: New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - RonB1957 - 09-09-2016

I could sure use one of those originals, Admiral.

RE: New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - Ray Newman - 09-09-2016

JimReed: where did you find that vise? I always thought that one should be in my shop and your thread rekindled my interest for one.

RE: New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - Admiral - 09-09-2016

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Parrot-Vise/D3125?utm_campaign=zPage

RE: New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - Boatman53 - 09-09-2016

Not my idea but I put this together this past spring. I think Timberwolf has one set up like this and someone else that I can't remember.

[Image: image_zpsb71txr3z.jpeg]

Jim

RE: New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - Stwood_ - 09-09-2016

Built my own swivel mount. Bought the vise from Garrett Wade.

RE: New parrot (vise) perched in the shop - Ray Newman - 09-09-2016

Admiral: thanks for the information.