Woodnet Forums
Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? (/showthread.php?tid=7322902)

Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - RichK - 09-18-2016

A few years ago, I built a mobile air filtration device from an old HVAC blower.  Would a dryer motor do the same thing on a smaller scale?  This one is sitting in my garage.  It's 1/3 hp, 6.4 amps, 120v, 1725 RPM.  Thanks for any thoughts.  --Rich
[Image: 20160918_181103.jpg][/img]

RE: Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - texaswally - 09-18-2016

That's a pretty small motor to move much air.

RE: Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - jteneyck - 09-18-2016

Welcome TexasWally.

I used a fan/motor about that size for the shop built HEPA filter I built and it works just fine.   

John

RE: Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - Robert Adams - 09-19-2016

Not a bad idea for an airfilter motor as dryers move more air than most commercially made shop aircleaners. They even push air at a decent pressure because they have duct runs to push the air down.

RE: Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - TDKPE - 09-19-2016

Agree that it's too small for a dust collector, but just about right for an air filter. 

Do measure the current draw against the nameplate value.  Without ductwork, and with clean filters, it may move too much air and therefore draw too much current, resulting in shortened life.  Potentially very short.

RE: Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - daddo - 09-19-2016

They can do upwards of 200 cfm- don't know the available static. It might be good for a sanding table.

RE: Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - RichK - 09-21-2016

I don't have a wiring diagram for the motor.   Is black hot, red neutral and the yellow and orange to be ignored?

RE: Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - Steve N - 09-24-2016

I've got a furnace fan, with a 1/2, or 3/4 hp motor, forget the exact size. It came with a cobbled together DC unit the guy who owned my current 15" planer had made. He had passed, and the deal I made with his Daughter was I take the POS DC out of her hair, and then we did my deal on the planer. The actual box is plenty tight so that isn't the problem, but it would hardly suck at all. I've since burned the box, but still have the furnace fan, and the motor.

If someone local wants it to try to make this, it's free for the asking

(09-19-2016, 10:49 AM)daddo Wrote: They can do upwards of 200 cfm- don't know the available static. It might be good for a sanding table.

Thinking that is about all they could do. Gave it some thought, NAH
No
No
No still would take up space, and not come close to earning it's keep

RE: Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - Reggie Lindsay - 07-12-2021

what year of production is the motor?

Watching this one.... 

RE: Clothes dryer motor for dust collection? - TDKPE - 07-12-2021

Uh, oh - another spam placeholder.  Here comes the banhammer.  
Uhoh