Woodnet Forums
Wiring a motor - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Wiring a motor (/showthread.php?tid=7323081)

Wiring a motor - RichK - 09-23-2016

How would I correctly connect a power cord to this dryer motor?  Black = hot, red = neutral, and connect the cord's ground wire to the motor?  I'm guessing that the orange and yellow were connected to sensors (not used any more).  Thanks, --Rich

[Image: 20160918_181103.jpg]

With picture.
[Image: 20160918_181103.jpg]

RE: Wiring a motor - JGrout - 09-23-2016

Black and red leads clue me in that the motor is likely 220 not 110 

It appears to be a dryer motor 

JMO

RE: Wiring a motor - rlnguy - 09-23-2016

the label looks like it says 120 volts, but I can't be sure. The dryer motors I've encountered were all 120, as were the timers, and everything except the heater elements themselves.
if you still have the dryer, there should be a wiring diagram either glued inside the back panel, or cabinet. Barring that, you might find a diagram online, from one of the replacement part websites.
good luck

RE: Wiring a motor - daddo - 09-23-2016

X2 on the schematic. There is a starting circuit in there.
Maybe you can find a similar instruction guide on youtube.

RE: Wiring a motor - RichK - 09-23-2016

Thanks, guys.  I haven't found a wiring diagram online yet.  I contacted Maytag and they couldn't help b/c I don't have the serial # of the dryer.  The part # wasn't good enough.  I am searching some You Tube videos.  Haven't seen the same motor yet, but there are a bunch of videos on testing motors, so I'll keep looking.  Thanks again!  --Rich

RE: Wiring a motor - Stwood_ - 09-23-2016

I googled that part # 501211 (images) and came up with better pics of the wiring leads.

Haven't determined which way to wire yet.....still looking

RE: Wiring a motor - Roly - 09-24-2016

Here is a LINK to the motor wiring diagram.   Hot lead connects to terminal 4 , neutral to terminal 5, and ground to a ground stud.   Hope it helps    Roly

RE: Wiring a motor - RichK - 09-25-2016

Thanks, Rory.  That worked.

RE: Wiring a motor - RichK - 10-06-2016

The finished product worked ok.  I used it last weekend to flush out dust and other floating junk in my home office which is where I spend most of my time.  First, I kicked up the dust with a blower, then ran the unit for about 6 hours on Saturday and 8-10 hours on Sunday, periodically using the blower to kick up any dust that settled. 

[Image: 20161002_121955.jpg]
I measured the air input at between 7-20 mph -- 7 mph on the bottom of the circular input, and 20 mph on the top.  With the flexible hose removed, input increased by 20%.  I could have rigged it with a straight pipe, but I was ok with it just running in my office as-is over the weekend.

My unscientific opinion is that it works better than the Hoover air purifier that I bought a while ago.  I've got a big air purifier in my garage shop that I built from a furnace blower a few years ago, and it works great.  It's just too heavy and awkward to move into the house, so the dryer motor version is a decent no-cost solution.

I suppose that I could have just hooked up a window fan, but that's hardly any fun.  [Image: biggrin.png]

Rich

RE: Wiring a motor - Stwood_ - 10-06-2016

Cool