Woodnet Forums
Framing Nailer and Compressor - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Framing Nailer and Compressor (/showthread.php?tid=7323197)

Pages: 1 2 3

Framing Nailer and Compressor - JSpill - 09-26-2016

My son is finishing his basement. He has about 140 linear feet of framing to build. He would like to buy a framing nailer capable of shooting 3.5" nails and a compressor that will do the job. This will most likely be used for one time. Of course he doesn't want to overspend. Any ideas for what he needs and probable costs would be appreciated. Thanks.

RE: Framing Nailer and Compressor - Bob10 - 09-26-2016

I have to ask about the compressor use as  I think you might not be seeing the bigger picture.  He can use it to power a framing nailer and any other type plus a long list of tools.  So it might get a fair bit of use beyond this one project and be something a bit more care is needed before choosing the one you want

RE: Framing Nailer and Compressor - K. L. McReynolds - 09-26-2016

Much as I hate to recommend Horror Fright, their compressor/nailer is gonna be the cheapest for that job.

I used my PC framing nailer for years on a 6 gallon pancake compressor to built houses/remodel with no problems.

RE: Framing Nailer and Compressor - JGrout - 09-26-2016

JMO but two hammers (yours and his) should knock out 140' in about two to three hours including layout 

Is it really worth it for such a small job?

RE: Framing Nailer and Compressor - Bob10 - 09-26-2016

Joe you don't know either's comfort level with a hammer.  I hired a framer to build a one bedroom apt in a basement he was done with the whole thing in 7 hours working alone.  I know it would have taken me days.

RE: Framing Nailer and Compressor - JGrout - 09-26-2016

I would be far more comfortable with them using hammers over a power nailer if they have little experience at either building walls or operating a framer.

That is just me though YMMV 

Edit to add: 

box of framing nails will run 40-70 bucks average for 2500 nails  I would expect that framing would take about 750 nails tops. You also will be hard pressed to get 3 1/2" nails ( most are 3 1/4") so if there could be a structural issue (depending on where they are) so it may be questionable to use a nail gun. even using a horror freight setup and nails you have ~$200-250  invested for one job.... 

Two hammers  and two guys can drink a lot of coke for the difference. just a bit less beer
Wink 

Joe

RE: Framing Nailer and Compressor - Roly - 09-26-2016

I have operated a framing nailer off of a 3 gal HF compressor, but had to wait for it to catch up.   Suggest a 6 gal one.  As far as a nailer I have the 21 degree full head framing nailer from HF also.   The nailer has not missed a beat but I have heard not to use HF nails in it.  I use Hitachi 3.25" nails  with no problem.  3.5" will protrude if nailing 2 ea 2Xs together.   Also have used shorter nails without a problem.   Roly

RE: Framing Nailer and Compressor - who - 09-26-2016

I try to buy the best tools once, instead of junk two or three times.

Bostitch framing gun is the best in my opinion.  I like the offset full head nails it uses, as you can fit about twice as many in the gun for fewer reloads.  I also have the popular porter cable gun that takes the cheaper plastic collated nails.  Works great, but not as strong as the Bostitch.

RE: Framing Nailer and Compressor - fredhargis - 09-27-2016

If you're really stuck on the pneumatic nailer option, what about renting what's needed?

RE: Framing Nailer and Compressor - Roly - 09-27-2016

I agree with buying the best but the first post said it was a one time use and budget was a concern.   A good nailer is in the $ 200-$300 range,  to rent one in my area it is $25/day or $100/week.  ( how long are you going to need it )  I would suggest a better compressor as they have many uses.    The small one I used because it was portable that was used just for mower tires but instead of running a lot of hose I wanted to try it.   Roly