Woodnet Forums
Frustrated first-timer has questions about using spar urethane - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Frustrated first-timer has questions about using spar urethane (/showthread.php?tid=7323300)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Frustrated first-timer has questions about using spar urethane - SierraTrout - 10-01-2016

Fred and Joe - I wish I had seen your most recent posts before I made my trip to SW. The two young employees on the floor were clueless. I mean clueless. One said she had never heard of spar varnish and they didn't carry it, despite the fact that cans of it were sitting on Aisle #3. Anyway, I specifically asked them about "A100 deep base tint" and both adamantly said that it was white paint and would cover up the wood grain. So I left with nothing ... except more frustration. Now I'll listen to you guys and buy it anyway.
On a happier note, I decided to use a water-based poly on the interior side of the door and it went on ridiculously easy after dealing with the oil-based spar, and it dried in an hour. So after two more coats of that, I'll switch to SW paint for the exterior. I see the end in sight! Thanks, guys!

RE: Frustrated first-timer has questions about using spar urethane - joe1086 - 10-03-2016

Do a good deed and while you are there open the can and apply it to a wooden paint stirrer. Or for better effect, bring a scrap of darker wood.

Watch their mouths drop. It's milky looking in the can but applies and dries clear. Read Fred's link....apply it thinly and you will be fine.