Woodnet Forums
Dust Collector Advice - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Dust Collector Advice (/showthread.php?tid=7323945)

Pages: 1 2

Dust Collector Advice - deeno - 10-17-2016

Looking for advise on what dust collector to get for a 1 person hobby shop.   Couple of considerations that I think works for me is that it needs to be mobile, the smaller the better and in the $500 price range. Is is a good idea to look for something used?  Any experience with pro's/cons to look out for would be much appreciated.   Thanks.

Dennis

RE: Dust Collector Advice - Jack01 - 10-17-2016

What kind of tools you will be using the dust collector?

RE: Dust Collector Advice - Bill Holt - 10-17-2016

If you are not in a hurry, Craig's List can be a gold mine.

RE: Dust Collector Advice - deeno - 10-17-2016

band saw, table saw and a planer.  All of them are on wheels to be moved to the center of my garage when I use them.   I am keeping an eye on craigslist but not really sure what to look for in used dust colectors.

RE: Dust Collector Advice - NWOhioJim - 10-17-2016

I have a small shop in two car garage with everything on wheels but my table saw.  Picked up a HF collector on CL for cheap.  Threw out the bags, they were torn anyway.  Put a Thien separator in the ring, added a Wynn canister on the top and a bag on the bottom.  Works well for me.  Still looking for a plastic drum to put in place of the bag.  If you go with a Wynn canister, call them with what you have and they will fix you up with what you need.  Very helpful people.

Jim

RE: Dust Collector Advice - barnowl - 10-17-2016

The Jet 1100 with the 2 micron canister is all the dust collector you'll ever need.

I have it's predecessor for quite a few years, from before the vortex cone, and it serves me well.

Jointer, planer, drum sander, table saw, router table, etc.

One at a time, of course.

Oh, you can buy it at your price point with a regular bag instead of the 2 micron canister, but the canister is well worth the upgrade.

RE: Dust Collector Advice - CARYinWA - 10-17-2016

I would try to find a 3hp double bagger on CL. The 2 70 gallon bags take twice as long to fill up which is nice.   I bought a Jet for $350 some time ago.  Ended up selling it when I got a cyclone.  I found another one for $@00 for a friend.  Spent ~$150 for some BIG Horn Felt bags and other things on Amazon and he is in business.

I have similar tools. I have Delta 50-760 with 1 micron bag and Thies separator  and it works well for me. This is 1 1/2 hp dust collector
I use one tool at a time and this dust collector have enough capacity to handle it.

Delta has newer version of this. I purchased this used for $ 140.00, it was in great shape.

In reality you will be using one tool at a time in one man operation. So buying anything higher capacity is not going to help you.

You can find used dust collectors on craigslist frequently. Buy recognised brand such as Delta, Jet etc,they are easy to get parts

RE: Dust Collector Advice - cputnam - 10-17-2016

So far, my taking the low road has worked rather well - for me. I do not have 240v service in the garage/shop. My tools that I use DC with are the jointer and Dewalt 735 planer. The tablesaw is a contractor type and spews dust all around - mostly under. The rest I get with a Festool dust extractor. My solution was a Rockler Dust-Rite that I got on sale. At 75 lbs. it is light enough to put on a cart. I added a 30 gal trash can with a Woodcraft top on it as a separator. Since I hung mine on the wall I have am extension hose to get to the tools. Since the rig handles the chips from the planer, it's good enough for me. I probably spent <$300 by the time I added various doodads to make life easier - including a remote switch.

IMO & YMWV

Dennis

This might help you in your decision.

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/get-more/dust-collection-home-shop