Woodnet Forums
Sawstop capacitor - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sawstop capacitor (/showthread.php?tid=7324520)

Pages: 1 2

Sawstop capacitor - grey spider - 11-03-2016

I have a industrial SS and the starter capacitor seems to be going bad. Slow start up then full speed. This is the second time in three years. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to buying their parts. Has anybody else had to replace theirs and did you use SS parts?

regards
Michael

RE: Sawstop capacitor - fredhargis - 11-03-2016

I have not, but can't imagine there's anything special about it. Take it to a motor shop and ask for a replacement.

RE: Sawstop capacitor - TDKPE - 11-03-2016

Read the values off of it (microfarads and voltage rating) and buy another with the same physical size.  And as stated, any motor shop could supply one, too.

RE: Sawstop capacitor - JDuke - 11-10-2016

I had the same capacitor go bad about a year ago, wasn't much cheaper to get one elsewhere so I just ordered from sawstop.

Duke

RE: Sawstop capacitor - jteneyck - 11-10-2016

It might be worth looking for a replacement brand.  Two failures in 3 years is not normal.  Or maybe something else is causing their early failure?

John

RE: Sawstop capacitor - AHill - 11-10-2016

(11-10-2016, 10:11 AM)jteneyck Wrote: It might be worth looking for a replacement brand.  Two failures in 3 years is not normal.  Or maybe something else is causing their early failure?

John

It's not likely you got 2 bad capacitors in a row.  I'm thinking either the design allows excessive current to reach the capacitor, or there's something else in the circuit going / gone bad that's causing it to fail.  You may want to investigate if there's a loose wire or loose connection somewhere.  Could also be a bad solder joint (cracked or otherwise poorly soldered) on the board.

RE: Sawstop capacitor - ranger29 - 11-10-2016

I had the same experience as Duke. Ended up buying from Sawstop.

RE: Sawstop capacitor - fixtureman - 11-10-2016

When I needed a capacitor for a furnace fan I priced them out and they were about $20 to $40 from the HVAC dealers and about $10 to $15 from motor repair places I went to an electric supply house and it was under $2

RE: Sawstop capacitor - Robert Adams - 11-10-2016

Most capacitors are junk these days The ones used in consumer grade motors are really bad. Not to mention they are often odd shapes and sizes and harder to get that will fit back in the big plastic box that many machines have theirs housed in now. 

I use hvac capacitors in my motors now and no more failures. Use the us made ones which are around $25 vs $8 for an import. Pricey but they last. 

The one in my well pump blew up last summer. It has the same plastic box on the motor that many machines have and finding a replacement was nearly impossible. I ended up adding an external box and put a condenser capacitor in it. An extra set of wires running out of the motor and mess but it just works. 

Also that capacitor was something I had never seen. It puked a huge mess of plastic like material that hardened when it cooled. It broke the case and glued itself inside. Guess that's better than an hvac oil filled capacitor exploding in there.

RE: Sawstop capacitor - Carpenter Mark - 11-10-2016

Despite all the wonderful features and US engineering, it is still a Chiwanese saw and the motor itself might be bad. I have some machines that are quite heavily used with older US & Euro motors that have given me no troubles for years, but I have also burned up three chinese motors in the past 4-5 . You should look into a motor upgrade.