Woodnet Forums
Question about tools - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Question about tools (/showthread.php?tid=7324741)

Question about tools - Bob10 - 11-08-2016

I picked up a Delta Lathe quite a while ago that came with tools that I didn't really look at just stored in a drawer.  So yesterday I was going through stuff trying to decide what I am clearing out to make things less cramped when I came across these tools.  I was surprised to see all were files shaped into different cutters.  Is this a common practice as it is the first time I have seen it.  I haven't paid much attention to used turning tools

RE: Question about tools - Steve K - 11-08-2016

I would say it's neither common nor uncommon. Lots of turners don't do it but then, lots of turners do. There are many opinions on the practice. Some just regrind old files and use them as they are. Others maintain you can use them safely only if you temper the files first by baking in an oven for a few hours. Others are of the opinion old files aren't safe no matter what you do because the metal is weakened by the serrations common to a file. I don't use old files myself, no particular reason one way or the other.

RE: Question about tools - Stwood_ - 11-08-2016

I've made a couple out of files, I've broke a couple of them.
I no longer have a need to make them. I have all I need (I think
Laugh )

RE: Question about tools - MichaelMouse - 11-09-2016

(11-08-2016, 05:38 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I picked up a Delta Lathe quite a while ago that came with tools that I didn't really look at just stored in a drawer.  So yesterday I was going through stuff trying to decide what I am clearing out to make things less cramped when I came across these tools.  I was surprised to see all were files shaped into different cutters.  Is this a common practice as it is the first time I have seen it.  I haven't paid much attention to used turning tools

Pay attention to keeping the toolrest close to the work, because that's where the difference of opinion about files as scrapers arises.  If you could control for breaking, I think you'd find that those that break were being used at some distance.  Never more overhang than a 1/2" at my place, even if they're not scrapers or old files. 

For a hundred bucks you can get a set of tools that will cut the wood for a smoother surface, and give you great versatility.

RE: Question about tools - Arlin Eastman - 11-09-2016

What MM said.

I had one given to me just after I started turning and used that and a regular 1/2 wood chisel.  I just could not wait another 4 weeks to learn to turn.
Laugh
Yes

Now that I have proper tools I find they work so much better.  When others donate the old non HSS tools I save them and give them away to those I teach when they want to go off and get their own lathe and it helps them on the cost.
I still have them bring me the tools a lot to sharpen them since they do not have grinder yet.