Woodnet Forums
Respect Drill Presses (3) - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Respect Drill Presses (3) (/showthread.php?tid=7325456)

Pages: 1 2 3

Respect Drill Presses (3) - gMike - 11-21-2016

In line with the tablesaw safety posts I thought I'd add my $0.02 worth on the stupid thing I did today.  I was using a sanding drum on my 1 hp. drill press.  The drum was pretty close to the same size as the inside of the hole (2 1/8") I was trying to sand.  Most of you can see this coming already.  The drum grabbed the piece (6" piece of white ash, 3" in diameter) and slapped it into the back of my hand.  I don't think it's broken but it sure swelled up  to 4 times it's regular size.  Lots of ice and I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

In all fairness, I knew it was a bad Idea when I did it but I was in a hurry and slightly pissed off because I had just exploded the previous piece drilling it out.  I know better and today I learned to just quit while I'm still ahead!

RE: Respect Drill Presses (3) - MikeBob - 11-21-2016

(11-21-2016, 10:00 PM)gMike Wrote: In line with the tablesaw safety posts I thought I'd add my $0.02 worth on the stupid thing I did today.  I was using a sanding drum on my 1 hp. drill press.  The drum was pretty close to the same size as the inside of the hole (2 1/8") I was trying to sand.  Most of you can see this coming already.  The drum grabbed the piece (6" piece of white ash, 3" in diameter) and slapped it into the back of my hand.  I don't think it's broken but it sure swelled up  to 4 times it's regular size.  Lots of ice and I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

In all fairness, I knew it was a bad Idea when I did it but I was in a hurry and slightly pissed off because I had just exploded the previous piece drilling it out.  I know better and today I learned to just quit while I'm still ahead!

Without going into details, did a similar thing with a spur doweling bit in my index finger this summer.
 Jorgeson wood clamps make a nice small piece holder for DPs and the Router.

RE: Respect Drill Presses (3) - wood2woodknot - 11-21-2016

I get chills just reading these confessions. Been there with more than one motorized tool and also hand tool incidents, so not a naive innocent. Each was a learning lesson, but it's so easy to let our guards down and think we can get away with it just this one time.

RE: Respect Drill Presses (3) - daddo - 11-21-2016

You still have one good hand- try again.

RE: Respect Drill Presses (3) - Stwood_ - 11-22-2016

Hold it with a clamp next time.

RE: Respect Drill Presses (3) - iclark - 11-22-2016

Handscrew clamps also work well if they are big enough to brace against the column.

It is sometimes frightening how naive some people can be about using drill presses.

About 40 years ago, I was a young researcher and was doing something on the bandsaw in our building's shop when 2 engineers from another section brought in a co-op student to teach him how to prep Bud boxes for making gauge set ups. This is a Bud box:
[Image: metal-electronics-enclosure-miniboxes-sc-mb.jpg]
They had the co-op hand hold the box half while drilling small & large holes in it. I went over and tried to explain to them that what they were doing was dangerous and that they needed to use the clamp on the DP table to secure the work. The 2 engineers explained to me that they knew what they were doing, that the DP was low-speed and hence safe, and the I should go away because I was bothering them.

The next morning, I chatted with the facility coordinator responsible for the shop. Those 2 engineers lost their shop privileges and the co-op got a remedial training session from one of the technicians. More importantly, the student did not lose any fingers that evening.

RE: Respect Drill Presses (3) - EvilTwin - 11-22-2016

I've got a nice little scar on my left hand from when a piece I was drilling decided to spin with nothing by my hand holding it down.  +1

RE: Respect Drill Presses (3) - Patsfan - 11-22-2016

I wrote CO_Dave on my drill press table to remind me to clamp things down. (Years ago, he posted a pic of a big ole bruise he got on his chest. from freehanding o n the drill press.)

RE: Respect Drill Presses (3) - Admiral - 11-22-2016

+3 on wooden handscrew clamps, I have two that live at the drill press. Clamp workpiece in one, use other to clamp the first clamp to the table.

RE: Respect Drill Presses (3) - daddo - 11-22-2016

There are many ways to hold things down- I have several.

For repetitive work on stock the right size, these can work well.

[Image: 311xTmScqJL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg]
 For round stuff, this may work for you- at least your hand is out of the way.

[Image: 41dtRYkP1jL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg]