Woodnet Forums
DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade (/showthread.php?tid=7325754)

Pages: 1 2

DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - Brian in sunny FL - 12-01-2016

I'm working on my own DW735 blades that will be made from T1 steel and I feel will be the best and longest lasting on the market.  I did want to offer a comparison though to customers and was wondering if anyone knows what grade of steel the factory knives use.  I'm told they come off of coil stock and are stamped out so can't be too hard I imagine.

RE: DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - Bob10 - 12-01-2016

I bet you would get more responses at OWWM as those guys make a lot of their own parts.  Almost seems like most start out woodworking and end up becoming machinists

RE: DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - Brian in sunny FL - 12-01-2016

Thanks Bob

I don't need someone to make the blades, they are on order.  I was just wondering what grade of steel DeWalt uses for theirs for comparison purposes.  I really didn't want to send a set out and have them tested.

RE: DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - Bob10 - 12-01-2016

I was thinking they might have an opinion about the metal

RE: DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - MikeBob - 12-01-2016

(12-01-2016, 01:13 PM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: Thanks Bob

I don't need someone to make the blades, they are on order.  I was just wondering what grade of steel DeWalt uses for theirs for comparison purposes.  I really didn't want to send a set out and have them tested.

What I have read on a few different forums they dull easy, I have no practical experience with them or know how and what they are planing ect, but it seems it is mentioned a lot. FWIW

RE: DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - Steve N - 12-01-2016

This says M2 laminated tool steel Does that help? It's ok to send cash
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Is this what they call competition in the marketplace?

RE: DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - Steve N - 12-01-2016

(12-01-2016, 05:57 PM)MikeBob Wrote: What I have read on a few different forums they dull easy, I have no practical experience with them or know how and what they are planing ect, but it seems it is mentioned a lot. FWIW

I've had one since they came out, several over the years. I've had people want one of them thar things, so I'd sell em mine. My experience is it is an awesome tool for fine finish cuts, if you use them like a 15" wood hog, you will quickly dull the knives. If you also have a 15" 3 hp planer to do the work, and just use the 735 for fine finish cuts, they actually last a long time. So the answer is clearly yes, and no
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

RE: DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - JGrout - 12-01-2016

(12-01-2016, 01:26 PM)thooks Wrote: It's been a while since I looked at mine, but isn't there an insert (laminated metal) of the cutting edge that is supposed to be better steel?

That seems to be correct the last time I looked at a set

Back in the day when I operated and worked on Felder jointer/planers we had three choices of knives carbon steel, High speed steel and cobalt steel well four but carbide was way out of our budget

Longevity came from the cobalt knives and of course they were the most expensive

I am not a metallurgist this was just our experience

BTW I am a big fan of your T1 jointer knives I think they may be the best value and longevity on the market

RE: DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - Brian in sunny FL - 12-02-2016

Thanks all, I didn't think the factory knives were as good as M2.  Like others have mentioned, I have heard they dull fast too which why I felt there was a market for something better between the factory knives and our carbide tipped ones being they sold over 50,000 planers.

RE: DeWalt DW735 Planer Knife Steel Grade - 3finger - 12-02-2016

Good luck with the blade venture Brian.  If my DW735 was still stock, I would be very interested, but I bought a Byrd head from you several years ago and I would never go back.  You spoiled me.  
Big Grin