Woodnet Forums
basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? (/showthread.php?tid=7326139)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - CJIII - 12-12-2016

Sent I don't have a shop, I am looking at doing woodworking with hand tools only. What would be a basic kit to get started?

RE: basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - cputnam - 12-12-2016

Start with Chris Schwarz' "The Anarchists's Toolchest" (I think that is the title.) He takes you through building a rather nice toolchest and totally explains his reasoning for each tool in it and, to some extent, why some tools are not it in it. I suspect it is the best minimalist list going.

RE: basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - Downwindtracker2 - 12-12-2016

It's a fun read as well.

RE: basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - fletcherj - 12-12-2016

Also consider reading Vic Tesolin's Minimalist Woodworker. It's a book for working wood in tiny spaces or shared use spaces like condo living rooms.

RE: basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - Bill_Houghton - 12-12-2016

And remember that either or both of these books may be available in your friendly local public library; or, if not, your library may be part of the World Cat interlibrary loan system (or some other interlibrary loan system).  I will be picking up "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" at my library tomorrow, loaned by some other generous library; and my system has "The Minimalist Woodworker, " which I've just put on request.

I am way far over on the range toward sinking out of sight in soft soil, as far as tools go; but I've been feeling the need to thin the herd, so these books will serve as a reminder of how much can be done with how little.

RE: basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - wmickley - 12-13-2016

Here is a kit:

8 point hand saw, filed rip
13 point back saw, 12 inch, filed rip
saw file
1/4, 1/2 , 1" chisels preferably all different brands
5/16 mortise chisel
hand drill with bits
5/16 auger bit
#4 smoothing plane, bevel down (double iron)
moving fillister (rabbet plane with fence)
plough plane
try square 6"
mallet
marking gauge
medium India/ soft Arkansas combination stone.

RE: basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - Admiral - 12-13-2016

Search Chris Schwarz' Lost Art Press blog, "Anarchist's Toolchest" and he gives a listing of and update of the tools in 3 blog posts.

RE: basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - Bibliophile 13 - 12-13-2016

+ 1 (or whatever we're up to) on the Anarchist's Tool Chest. While I would quibble with one or two choices, I think he makes a strong case (literally and metaphorically) for an essential set of hand tools.

RE: basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - Joel Runyan - 12-13-2016

Depends a lot on what you want to make. If you want to make people sized furniture, the kit is almost never-ending. If you want to make small boxes or cutting boards, it's much much smaller.

RE: basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand? - Downwindtracker2 - 12-14-2016

England has been poor since the 1918 so their hobbyists have had to make do with a lot less tools than their rich American cousins. Paul Sellers' book "Essential   Woodworking Hand Tools" gives a very complete instruction on their care and use as well as which ones. He learned how to teach in Texas.