Woodnet Forums
Shellac over BLO - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Shellac over BLO (/showthread.php?tid=7326308)

Shellac over BLO - tuneswoodshop - 12-19-2016

I was wondering if you guys have ever tried shellac over BLO. I am finishing a aromatic cedar chest and I like the look of the grain after the BLO is applied but want to use shellac as a top coat. You guys have any thoughts on that? I tried a test piece with good results so far but dont want to start on my chest  and then start having a issue.
Thanks for your input.

RE: Shellac over BLO - MikeBob - 12-19-2016

I have done it on Birds Eye Maple, works fine.

RE: Shellac over BLO - fredhargis - 12-19-2016

No problem at all. In fact Jeff Jewitt publishes a schedule he calls a "quick and dirty" french polish, which is a light coat of BLO, wiped off and thenned topped with shellac fairly quickly. I'm sure you wouldn't do this, but don't put any BLO in an enclosed space (or any other oil based finish). The odor will linger forever. Some say that if sealed with shellac it will solve the problem, but IME while the shellac does reduce the odor hugely, it is still noticeable. One thing to remember about shellac, it will stick to just about anything....BLO is a piece of cake. I would be remiss if I didn't mention what a beautiful piece that is that MikeBob posted, well done!

RE: Shellac over BLO - Roly - 12-19-2016

I did all my kitchen cabinets like that on Alder.   Remember to give the BLO time to set up after wiping off.  I let mine dry a day.     Keep the rags used for the BLO spread out and outside after using.    BLO is very good at spontaneous combustion.   Roly

RE: Shellac over BLO - MikeBob - 12-19-2016

Thanks for the compliment Fred.
It turn out nice with the Cherry Frame. It hangs by my entrance door it has a shelf below the mirror that does not show up well in that pic.

RE: Shellac over BLO - tuneswoodshop - 12-19-2016

Thanks for the input. I will post a pic when I get it done.
MikeBob that is a beautiful piece.

RE: Shellac over BLO - cputnam - 12-19-2016

I did precisely that with the grandkids cherry chests. Worked great!

RE: Shellac over BLO - MattP - 12-20-2016

I've done it. Works fine.