Woodnet Forums
miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench (/showthread.php?tid=7326512)

Pages: 1 2 3

miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - mongo - 12-27-2016

So for the last 10 years or so of woodworking I have gotten by without a miter saw(crosscut sled on the TS for fine cuts and circular saw for rough),  had a RAS for a bit but could never justify the space in my old shop.  In my new shop I have the room and would like to have a miter saw.  

So getting to today I was at home depot picking up something else and they had a bosch gravity rise stand on clearance for $150
Big eek  !!

Being a self respecting tool nut I brought it home.  Now I am trying to decide if I should keep it, or if a built in miter bench is the better solution.  Especially considering I haven't bought a miter saw yet.  Eyeing a bosch glide.

So if you have a miter saw, do you have it in a mobile stand or a built in bench and what do you prefer or wish you had and why?

Thanks for your thoughts

RE: miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - WaterlooMarc - 12-27-2016

My first shop I had a miter bench. My last shop I just kept it on a stand (Ridgid MSUV, which I don't think they make anymore). When I moved into this shop I again built a miter bench. I actually built both of my benches into my lumber racks which works out well. But having had both I vastly prefer the miter bench. It's just more solid, better support, and just flat out bigger. I still keep the stand for those rare times when I travel or work outdoors. I have my eye on the Glide as well but my darn 10 year old 12" Ridgid refuses to die!

RE: miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - EvilTwin - 12-28-2016

I go both ways.  I had the miter saw built in but moved it out to a stand when I got a RAS.  I keep the miter saw for jobs where it is handy, like cutting decking or molding. 

Old miter saw on stand that I keep in the shed:

[Image: YmBZ3LXwnV_X9CKdKb2VhZiHRemQFmIfROo2MA99...67-h978-no]

Delta 30c RAS built in:

[Image: d3aj2sywZBu40QGZTHOo3efUtfs5UGNOR_nqC3s7...67-h978-no]

RE: miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - BloomingtonMike - 12-28-2016

I have them on both. Bench in the existing shop made building out the new shed a chore. Dewalt on the T4B (great stand btw) gravity rise stand is awesome and portable but I do miss the stops on my bench.

In the new layout the plan to have a big stand and incorporate the foreman into it too.

I saw do both. If I could only have one, the T4B takes up less room.

RE: miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - Pirate - 12-28-2016

It all depends on how often you will be using the miter saw out of the shop.
Why not build it in to a bench, where you can lift it out for out of shop use.

I think the Gravity Rise stand and others take up a lot of space when stored.
I use a folding metal stand for my miter saw, and folded it is about 2" thick.
I mean, how hard is it to lift a miter saw on to a stand now and then?

If your a contractor, where you need to pack up and set up tools every day, a rolling stand with saw attached would be worthwhile. For homeowner, with little storage space. Why store a big stand?

I like the cuts a ras can make, that a miter saw or slider can't, and have it in the shop, with the compact stand and miter saw, stored out of the way.

RE: miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - mongo - 12-28-2016

Thank you everyone for the thoughts so far.

Mike what is the "forman"?

RE: miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - Bill Wilson - 12-28-2016

If your CMS never leaves the shop, then I would vote for a built in, unless you are cramped for space and need something more portable.  My CMS is mounted on a bench, next to my RAS about 90% of the time, but it does go off-site with me, from time to time, so I need a more portable platform as well.

RE: miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - paarker - 12-28-2016

I have a very small shop so my miter saw is on a stand tucked away in a place nothing else fits. If I had the room though I would build a bench for it.

RE: miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - Stwood_ - 12-28-2016

I've got both. 2 permanent places on cabinets for my miter saws, and a portable dewalt stand when I need to take my saw(s) elsewhere.

I suggest to keep your newly acquired stand

RE: miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench - handi - 12-28-2016

Moving into my new shop, I had to come up with a better design than I had used before.
This became an article in the June 2015 issue of WWJ.

[Image: Beauty_1.296154238_large.jpg]

I replaced the drawers in the cabinets with a 'cut shelf' that allows me to use my Chop saw as needed without needing to lose the valuable bench space.