Woodnet Forums
Water Heater - Bradford White - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Water Heater - Bradford White (/showthread.php?tid=7326820)

Water Heater - Bradford White - rh111 - 01-08-2017

Are they still considered the way to go?  Tired of my inconsistent hot water out of my 3 yr old big box brand. They have had 3 different people out for the issue and finally said they will replace it as something is not right with it but no one can pinpoint the issue and they think I am gonna pay upwards of $500 for labor and prorated warranty.  Think again. It's going to the curb.

RE: Water Heater - Bradford White - daddo - 01-09-2017

Are they sure it is even the water heater that's causing the problem?

I can't imagine one can't be repaired or the problem figured out, after all a new one will basically be the same- tank, tube, heat source, thermostat, limit, and sometimes flue and combustion air.

You have gas or electric?
Are professionals working on it- or kids hired to install them?

RE: Water Heater - Bradford White - K. L. McReynolds - 01-09-2017

When I installed a new heater in our house, I passed on the BB models and bought a BW from a dealer.

I've installed many heaters for customers and am quite familiar with the BB models.  Just figered I'd go with a better brand.

RE: Water Heater - Bradford White - Robert Adams - 01-09-2017

Sounds like a flakes thermostat. 

While on the subject does anyone kknow anything about these Rheem marathon electric plastic tank units. Habitat has a whole bunch of them that were donated new in box. Retail is 1k or more and they were asking $350 or so.
        I'm guessing they aren't great since they have been given away...

RE: Water Heater - Bradford White - fredhargis - 01-09-2017

I know that all four heating contractors I contacted wanted to put a Marathon in my house this last year when we had the geo system changed out. They each sang the praises of the unit all the while bemoaning the price. I wound up putting in some heaters that had a stainless steel tank (no anode rod) and passed on the Marathon. If you need a water heater, $350 on one of those would be hard for me to pass up. I'm sure there's no warranty, but I don't get too wrapped up in warranties anyway.

RE: Water Heater - Bradford White - rh111 - 01-09-2017

It seams that they have changed out just about about everything that could be changed out in the last three months.  Now keep in mind that I am tired of the hassles as well as all of the parts have to be shipped in from the warranty center which mean something that I have to be at home for the inspection.  They call in the findings to the warranty center. Wait a week to ten days for parts and then another appt for them to install. The system has been drained 5 times in the last 3 months. Also every time that I have met a technician has been at least a half day off of work. So I am averaging a day total a month for 3 months. I don't work I don't get paid and no one is paying me back.

First guy 8 yrs as a plumber and warranty came back to a faulty control board.
 Second tech unknown years but looked like had more years under his belt than I cared to ask.  Warranty service and him came back with a new control board assy that had to have the entire tank drained and screwed into the tap on the side of the tank. He then got to come back 2 days later as there was a leak and the part was once again ordered and changed out as there wasn't a hairline crack in the threads (he showed the crack to me).
Third was a second generation owner of a company with over 20 years under his belt.  Burner assy and inlet and outlet tubes were changed.

All 3 techs were from 3 different companies. I am just done.  You think I am gonna pay in the neighborhood of $500 labor and prorated warranty for something that the part was only $700 to begin with?  Not on my watch. Over it.  Done with it.

So is Bradford White still the recognized leader?

RE: Water Heater - Bradford White - clockman - 01-09-2017

Bradford White is still a good brand. I would buy from a supply house, and have a plumber install.

RE: Water Heater - Bradford White - Bob10 - 11-04-2017

(01-08-2017, 10:54 PM)rh111 Wrote: Are they still considered the way to go?  Tired of my inconsistent hot water out of my 3 yr old big box brand. They have had 3 different people out for the issue and finally said they will replace it as something is not right with it but no one can pinpoint the issue and they think I am gonna pay upwards of $500 for labor and prorated warranty.  Think again. It's going to the curb.

I always take them back to the store myself get a refund or replacement depending on time and availability.  Never had one prorated

RE: Water Heater - Bradford White - Roly - 11-04-2017

(01-09-2017, 10:16 AM)daddo Wrote: Are they sure it is even the water heater that's causing the problem?

I can't imagine one can't be repaired or the problem figured out, after all a new one will basically be the same- tank, tube, heat source, thermostat, limit,  and sometimes flue and combustion air.

You have gas or electric?
Are professionals working on it- or kids hired to install them?

What exactly do you mean by inconstant hot water ?    Does it change while using the hot water and no one is using any hot or cold water ?   Or is it warm one day and cold another ?   Have you checked any single handle faucet  for crossover ?   What about the dip tube, still  attached ? There is not that much to them once you change out the controls.  Roly

RE: Water Heater - Bradford White - Woodworm! - 11-04-2017

Just bought a Rheem Professional Classic water heater, this has the normal thermostat, not the Honeywell variety which seem to be used on the lower end models, and is prone to failures.