Woodnet Forums
What does a Uniplane do? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What does a Uniplane do? (/showthread.php?tid=7326877)

Pages: 1 2

What does a Uniplane do? - Wild Turkey - 01-11-2017

Rockwell Delta Uniplane

Are one of these worth the space in the shop it would take up?

[Image: 00404_qHMvoN4qkk_600x450.jpg]

RE: What does a Uniplane do? - JGrout - 01-11-2017

IME 

No 

YMMV

RE: What does a Uniplane do? - meackerman - 01-11-2017

its a specialty tool.  for some people yes, for most no.

RE: What does a Uniplane do? - geek2me - 01-11-2017

(01-11-2017, 12:04 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Rockwell Delta Uniplane

Are one of these worth the space in the shop it would take up?

Depends on what you are doing.  It's essentially a safer jointer that produces a better finish with a larger capacity.  Has a smaller footprint than a comparable jointer and is quicker and easier to set up.  It can also be safely used on end grain and smaller pieces than a conventional jointer.

RE: What does a Uniplane do? - Admiral - 01-11-2017

Here is a review from '69 when it first came out, interesting machine:

https://books.google.com/books?id=kiYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA146&lpg=PA146&dq=rotary+jointer+uniplane&source=bl&ots=Jpfl2mnS9M&sig=vglhpCJBhoO6uC7PXAmvlRpAjS4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVvYje47rRAhVBRiYKHUM8DfsQ6AEIUDAM#v=onepage&q=rotary%20jointer%20uniplane&f=false

RE: What does a Uniplane do? - joe1086 - 01-11-2017

(01-11-2017, 02:06 PM)Admiral Wrote: Here is a review from '69 when it first came out, interesting machine:

https://books.google.com/books?id=kiYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA146&lpg=PA146&dq=rotary+jointer+uniplane&source=bl&ots=Jpfl2mnS9M&sig=vglhpCJBhoO6uC7PXAmvlRpAjS4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVvYje47rRAhVBRiYKHUM8DfsQ6AEIUDAM#v=onepage&q=rotary%20jointer%20uniplane&f=false

Even more interesting are the articles that precede and follow that tool review in that edition of Popular Science. LOL...brings back memories....

...slow day at work...

RE: What does a Uniplane do? - TDKPE - 01-11-2017

(01-11-2017, 02:52 PM)joe1086 Wrote: Even more interesting are the articles that precede and follow that tool review in that edition of Popular Science. LOL...brings back memories....

...slow day at work...

Check out the groovy pole lamp on page 43.  We had one like that when I was a kid.  Parents' house still has the marks on the ceiling to prove it.
Laugh

RE: What does a Uniplane do? - Ray Newman - 01-11-2017

Admiral: thanks for that link. Brought back more than a few memories as I have not seen a Uni-plane in years. From what I  read and heard, it was a good machine and worked well. Problem seemed to be that it was just too "unique", and too much of a  radical design to catch on with those who grew up with/trained on traditional jointer.

Would not mind having one -- depending upon price, condition, all OEM parts, etc. But I wonder if replacement knives/cutters are available?

RE: What does a Uniplane do? - toolmiser - 01-11-2017

Back in the 80's when I was in college, the woodworking shop had one of those.  We inquired about it, and the instructor said "the machine is too dangerous" and wouldn't even give us a demonstration, let alone use it.  He wasn't the type to question his knowledge.  Not saying he was right or wrong, just repeating what he said.

RE: What does a Uniplane do? - JGrout - 01-11-2017

without the sliding guard they are very dangerous 

And it seems that the guard either went missing or was overridden on most every one I have seen