Woodnet Forums
Cherry slab cabinet doors - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cherry slab cabinet doors (/showthread.php?tid=7327494)

Pages: 1 2

Cherry slab cabinet doors - BillinIN - 01-31-2017

My nephew is asking me to help add to a kitchen cabinet set.  The current cabinets have cherry slab doors and I'd like to match them.  Do you know of any sources for cherry veneer MDF?  An alternative is to make it myself but a quick calculation makes it seem pretty expensive (veneer price).  I need about four cabinet doors.  Any suggestions or source recommendations?  Thanks!!

RE: Cherry slab cabinet doors - JGrout - 01-31-2017

well they are in Indiana if you google your location for hardwood plywood you should get some suppliers

RE: Cherry slab cabinet doors - fredhargis - 01-31-2017

Bill, are you locked into MDF core? Frank Miller in Union City has really good cherry plywood in most common thicknesses, but it's all veneer core. Not sure where you are but they might be an option.

RE: Cherry slab cabinet doors - jteneyck - 01-31-2017

I order it from my local ACE full service lumber yard.  Another option is a local cabinet shop. 

John

RE: Cherry slab cabinet doors - Kreuzie - 01-31-2017

I have no idea what part of Indiana you're in, but if you're in the northeast, Toledo Plywood has 3/4" 4 x 8 Cherry/Cherry MDF core  for $28.

RE: Cherry slab cabinet doors - Mr_Mike - 01-31-2017

If you use a pre-made panel (MDF or veneer core) you either have to edgeband in veneer banding or solid wood banding. The veneer banding is not particularly durable and the solid wood banding gives a picture frame effect some folks don't like.

The alternative is to solid wood edge band MDF panels and veneer over top.

This is how I did my kitchen cabinets. It is a lot of work organizing parts and a lot of time face clamping panels. I think its worth it though.

RE: Cherry slab cabinet doors - Stwood_ - 01-31-2017

Only 4 doors, just use cherry lumber

RE: Cherry slab cabinet doors - Steve N - 01-31-2017

(01-31-2017, 01:16 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Bill, are you locked into MDF core? Frank Miller in Union City has really good cherry plywood in most common thicknesses, but it's all veneer core. Not sure where you are but they might be an option.

Another vote for Frank Miller Lumber they are Indiana Ohio border at Union City.

1690 Frank Miller Road • Union City • IN • 47390-8446 • Phone: 765.964.3196

A phone call will get you inventory, and price, They have a retail outlet with a good supply if stock on hand. If you haven't been you might not want to go. Just to keep from being broke all the time, really nice Lumber/plywood
Yes

RE: Cherry slab cabinet doors - BillinIN - 01-31-2017

Thanks for the replies.  I'm near South Bend.  

I thought about solid Cherry for the doors and still may go that route. No local sources have MDF core cherry.  I'll keep looking for a bit.  THX

RE: Cherry slab cabinet doors - clockman - 01-31-2017

+1 on the Solid Cherry doors