Woodnet Forums
Table and chairs project - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Table and chairs project (/showthread.php?tid=7328070)

Pages: 1 2

Table and chairs project - Chataigner - 02-18-2017

Our kitchen is a bit narrow with cupboards both sides and I've been trying to find a design for a table that will give reasonable amount of casual eating space without restricting the access each side of the kitchen.  

[Image: kitchen-8507.jpg]

I've refined the first version design with precise proportions etc and added the dimensions - this is what it looks now like :

[Image: spacer.gif][Image: table-detail.jpg]

Note it now fits into 1m20, leaving a tiny bit more space at the sides.

This also has blend with the glass fronted cabinet in G&G style that I completed a couple of months ago, they are in the same space, just a few feet apart.

RE: Table and chairs project - Chataigner - 02-18-2017

Here is the design for the chairs :

[Image: chair-detail2.jpg]

Think I need to refine the curve of the back legs, it looks a bit clunky here.  Will probably make a full scale mock up.

Because I've been slow in posting, the work has actually moved on quite a bit, hence several posts on the same day.  In reality this sequence covers several weeks.

Not quite so cold today, started at -2°C, but rapidly warmed by the sun.  Wind too cold to work outdoors, so into the workshop and made quite a lot of progress on preparing the main elements of the table.

These are the two "feet" 70 x 95mm sections and two of the legs 70 x 70 sections.  All squared up, glued up ready to cut to size.

[Image: table1-001.jpg]

Here is the third leg in glue up:

[Image: table1-002.jpg]

...and here are four cross members that sit just below the top, all prepared and the cloud lift profiles roughed out by drilling the inside curve with a forstner bit, then cutting up to the hole with the band saw:

[Image: table1-003.jpg]

Would have been really pleased with them if I hadn't just realised that there are only two of them in the design !!  Oh well, I can choose the best two !

Will glue up the fourth leg tomorrow, then plane 3 and 4 to size and start cutting mortices.

More progress today, selected the 2 best versions of the top sub frame and cut the joinery.  The tenons shoulders are cut on the TS using a cross-cut sled as per my usual method, but at this stage the sides of the tenons are rough cut on the BS awaiting fine tuning when the mortices are done.  The centre is half lapped.

[Image: table2-001.jpg]

The last leg came out of the clamps this afternoon and all 4 have been planed to exact size and cut to length.

[Image: table2-002.jpg]

I had hoped to get into the joinery on the legs today, but the workshop is so darn cold I decided to stop at around 4pm.  
Sad 
Sad

RE: Table and chairs project - more joinery - Chataigner - 02-19-2017

More work on the base structure for the table today.  I've cut the tenons at the bottom and the sockets for the top sub frame in the 4 legs, plus started to shape the feet.  The inside curves are always a bit tricky on sections as big as this, I drilled with a forstner bit and then cut up to that on the bandsaw.

[Image: table3-001.jpg]

The sockets were done by drilling the bottom corners, cutting up to the holes with the bandsaw, then using a coping saw to chop out the middle.  Finally cleaned up with a chisel.

Drilling 80mm deep in oak with a 30mm forstner bit for the inside curve on the top of the feet was interesting to say the least.   :lol:  :lol:
I kept the revs right down and did a few mm at a time, then removed the bit to clear the waste and repeated.  Had to wait for it to cool down at times too.  Got there though !  Holes also drilled for the bottom profile of the feet, but I want to cut all the mortices before any shaping is done on the bottom of the feet to be sure that I've still got a flat and square reference surface.  

[Image: table3-002.jpg]

The large radius will be much easier on the bottom of the feet because it is an outside curve and can be cut on the BS.

RE: Table and chairs project - Chataigner - 02-19-2017

More progress this week : mortices cut in the feet and major components carefully individually fitted for max strength. Also made the 12 vertical strips that fit between the feet and the top sub frame, cut the tenons and test fitted a few.  All OK.

[Image: table4-001.jpg]

[Image: table4-002.jpg]

Next job is to cut the bottom cloud lift profile in the feet, then half lap them and do a trial assembly.

RE: Table and chairs project - dry fit plinth - Chataigner - 02-19-2017

More progress today, got the base/plinth assembly dry fitted - I'm really pleased with it.

[Image: table5-007.jpg]

The half lap on the 80 x 90mm section for the feet was a pig to do.  The bandsaw throat is not big enough to use that, my TS can cut 45mm deep, but not with the cross-cut sled fitted and I dont trust mitre gauges - so I did it all by hand with a tenon saw and a chisel.   Four saw cuts in each piece to allow the waste to be removed in sections, then remove the last half mm by chiseling to the line.  Got it to a just hand tight fit, needed one whack with a mallet to finally seat it.  Not bad I thought.

Need to do another dry fit with the little infill/decorative uprights fitted, then it will be profiling the bottom of the feet, rounding over all the edges and cutting the sockets for the ebony pegs.  

Watch this space !

RE: Table and chairs project - Ken Vick - 02-19-2017

David, a beautiful design , table and chairs.  This will look nice with the cabinet you made last year.  After a hundred years, G & G still looks modern.  Thanks for posting and I will surely stay tuned.  Ken

RE: Table and chairs project - Tapper - 02-21-2017

Those chairs seem to have elements of the "Blacker" chairs made by Greene & Greene, correct? Very nice design and your work, as usual, is impeccable! Will look forward to following the project. 

Doug

RE: Table and chairs project - Richard D. - 02-21-2017

Tables are easy, chairs are hard. Awesome to see G&G design elements for a kitchen in France. Of all the shops on WN, yours is the one I'd most like to visit. I look forward to seeing the finished product.