Woodnet Forums
Coping sled - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Coping sled (/showthread.php?tid=7328120)

Pages: 1 2

Coping sled - mike9 - 02-20-2017

I need to cope pieces of moulding that iam making and I usually try to use my miter square, but alot of time the pieces want to suck into the bit. I tried clamping it against the square but that doesn't really work as the piece is only a half inch thick. I looked at coping sleds and wanted to know which ones woodnetters like. I am not into building one , would rather buy one. Thanks.

RE: Coping sled - JGrout - 02-20-2017

(02-20-2017, 08:06 PM)mike9 Wrote: I need to cope pieces of moulding that iam making and I usually try to use my miter square, but alot of time the pieces want to suck into the bit. I tried clamping it against the square but that doesn't really work as the piece is only a half inch thick. I looked at coping sleds and wanted to know which ones woodnetters like. I am not into building one , would rather buy one. Thanks.

this one hands down

it is certainly the most thought out one and should meet your criteria

RE: Coping sled - fishhh4 - 02-21-2017

I got mine from MLCS . It worked for me .
Mine is 15 years old , does not look the same

RE: Coping sled - jteneyck - 02-21-2017

You don't really need a coping sled, although I'm not saying one might not be nice to have.  If you make a zero clearance fence for the router bit you're using, the workpiece can't get pulled out of alignment unless it's narrower than the width of the bit.  Here's a photo of what I'm talking about:

[Image: wDMXD7UqzkvEAr9WXbVAA2BCnNnLBbQmjZ8YKlpD...38-h628-no]

I used that to make theses parts, and you see that the coped part is very narrow. 

[Image: Id0TW7LrBL9MtoZIwAUsnZV_FLP6LJKSvaOVl-on...38-h628-no]

I held the part against a square backer of MDF that had the negative profile milled into it, that rode along the fence.  I don't even have a miter slot on my router table. 

John

RE: Coping sled - Bit_Fiddler - 02-21-2017

(02-20-2017, 08:15 PM)JGrout Wrote: this one hands down

I have to strongly second this one...  I've tried a number less expensive ones along with a home brewed sled or 2 but there was always something that left me less than satisfied....The Woodpecker unit is head and shoulders above the rest.   Biggest hurdle was getting over the price, but now I wish I had gotten it sooner.  Worth every penny.

Dave

RE: Coping sled - splinter7612 - 02-21-2017

(02-20-2017, 08:15 PM)JGrout Wrote: this one hands down

I have that sled and although it is very well made my beef is with Woodpeckers, I started to assemble the sled and found that I was short some hardware I called customer service and explained what I was shorted (1/4x 20 nuts and bolts), their reply was "you can get these at any hardware store", I asked them if this was the road they wanted to take and they said yes, well that was over ten yrs ago and I haven't dealt with them since all for about a dollar or less.

RE: Coping sled - CARYinWA - 02-21-2017

I have one from Woodhaven that I am happy.  I had a knock off of the Infinity and it was nice also.

RE: Coping sled - woodhead - 02-21-2017

You could make one. Not that hard to do!

Al

RE: Coping sled - Steve N - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 06:53 PM)woodhead Wrote: You could make one. Not that hard to do!

Al

That has always worked for me too.

RE: Coping sled - JGrout - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 07:17 PM)Steve N Wrote: That has always worked for me too.

If only he wanted to make one
Smile