Woodnet Forums
Vinyl fence and mold removal - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Vinyl fence and mold removal (/showthread.php?tid=7328305)

Pages: 1 2

Vinyl fence and mold removal - splinter7612 - 02-27-2017

About 3-4 yrs ago my neighbor put up a vinyl fence along the side property line and now it has green and black mold and mildew, I tried a bathroom mildew remover but no luck, I then tried a mold product I got at the big box store, helped a little so is a power washer what I need and does it require just soap and water?

RE: Vinyl fence and mold removal - Turner52 - 02-27-2017

Water pressure alone will work. Then buy spray and forget and spray every year and you will not have a problem again. I bought mine at an Ace hardware or am sure yo can buy it online.

RE: Vinyl fence and mold removal - Patsfan - 02-27-2017

try this stuff.

RE: Vinyl fence and mold removal - Roly - 02-27-2017

Vinyl siding cleaner will work.   Apply let sit for a few minutes and rinse.  Pressure washer will make short work of it just don't use too strong of a nozzle.    Roly

RE: Vinyl fence and mold removal - daddo - 02-28-2017

I had a vinyl patio chair that molded, so I used the pressure washer on it when nothing else worked. It got it clean but it made the situation worse by etching the once smooth surface. I had to throw it out.

RE: Vinyl fence and mold removal - crokett™ - 02-28-2017

Borax will work. If the material could absorb the borax solution, it would also act as a preventative.

RE: Vinyl fence and mold removal - Cooler - 02-28-2017

Pool shock. 

Mix a strong solution and brush it on.  Wear protective gloves and eye wear. 

They sell this in small plastic bags.  One bag in 5 gallons probably will do the trick.

This is a powerful solution and you probably don't want to spray if it is at all windy.

A one pound bag is about $5.00 at a local pool supply house.

[Image: PT-shock-calhypo-1.jpg]

RE: Vinyl fence and mold removal - tomsteve - 03-01-2017

what ive done with very good success is head to the dollar general for a couple gallons of store brand bleach- dollar general labeled bleach has higher levels of sodium hypochlorate- the stuff that kills the mold and mildew. without killing it, the mold and mildew will return.

in a garden sprayer, I go 50/50 with water. on anything outdoors I pre wet everything around where im workin. spray down the surface and don't let it dry for 10 minutes.  maybe a little scrubbing even. then rinse off with the pressure washer- vinyl siding very carefully. fences can take more. and flush the surrounding area

without killing mold and mildew, it will return.

RE: Vinyl fence and mold removal - Cooler - 03-01-2017

I had mold on my shower walls when I bought the house.  I used hydrogen peroxide to kill the mold.  It took about 7 or 8 spray applications to get the job done over several days, but at least it was perfectly safe to use.  

Once the mold is killed it is easy to wash off with soap and a brush.  Just because it is still on the fence does not mean it has not been killed.  If it washes off with a brush and soap it may well have been killed.

RE: Vinyl fence and mold removal - Wood'N'Scout - 03-02-2017

I have a 6' high vinyl fence around my pool.  To make matters worse the fence is in the shade cast by evergreen trees.  The evergreen trees rain sap on the fence giving the mold and mildew more food.  I sprayed on Wet and Forget per the directions on the bottle.  It took 2 applications but over several weeks the fence was clean.  Now I'll spray the fence 2 times a year to prevent the build up.