Woodnet Forums
Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? (/showthread.php?tid=7328497)

Pages: 1 2

Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - Strokes77 - 03-06-2017

Good morning Men,

I have a brother in law that I need to help install a 7' x 7' Rubbermaid vinyl storage building from Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-Common-7-ft-x-7-ft-Actual-Interior-Dimensions-6-7-ft-x-6-9-Feet-Roughneck-Storage-Shed/50125589

It is going in his back yard, relatively flat, grassy area.

My question is, what is the most simple (cost effective for him) base that I could build?  My concern to sit it directly on the grass is moisture.

Could you point me to a picture, or a link, or just an Idea?  I know for a fact you guys are more helpful than almost any other resource.  Thank you.

RE: Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - cndamm - 03-06-2017

It comes with a resin base. Just put it on a level spot.

RE: Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - Strokes77 - 03-06-2017

My concern is the doors won't work if it's not "level".  When I say the ground is level, I mean that it is relatively flat.  Not level enough for doors to properly operate however.  And I read this model has a seam on the bottom of the floor.  Such that moisture would come up through if sitting on earth.

RE: Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - gMike - 03-06-2017

I put one up many years ago.  I put it on leveled deck blocks with a "deck" made out of pressure treated 2x4s and 3/4" treated ply.  I'm surprised how well it has held up.  It takes a little time to level the deck blocks but it pays off because you have a level and solid floor under the shed.  Now, if only it were bigger...

RE: Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - Lynden - 03-06-2017

diy base for rubbermaid shed 7x7

RE: Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - atgcpaul - 03-06-2017

I have a couple of the smaller sheds that have about a 3x4 footprint.  These areas didn't have grass, but I would remove that first if I did, level the area, and then I lay down the 16" square concrete pavers and put the shed on top.  They provide a solid base and the doors never get caught up in the grass or whatever might be in front of it.

RE: Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - EightFingers - 03-06-2017

I have a 10 X 10 and 10 X 7, both on black cinders. Going on three years and no issues yet.
I was suprised how expensive the sheds were.

I wonder is there a way to put some sort of roof vent in. They can get pretty hot. I was also thinking about turning one into a solar kiln to dry wood. Anyone try that?

RE: Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - Strokes77 - 03-06-2017

Is this one Overkill for what I need?  This unit comes with a floor, I just need something flat, and off the ground for moisture. Can it get any cheaper/easier than this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l4AfZZp6SI

RE: Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - tomsteve - 03-07-2017

the framing concept is right, except I personally wouldn't double up the 2 by front and back.
this is just a plastic 7 by 7 shed and according to website, 351 lbs. personally id look at the price difference between framing with 2 by 4 PT 16" OC  compared to using 2 by 6 PT 24 OC.
don't think id bother with the joist hangers.
I don't think it gets any easier than what the video shows.

RE: Install 7'x7' Rubbermaid Storage Building - What base? - Strokes77 - 03-07-2017

(03-07-2017, 12:32 PM)tomsteve Wrote: the framing concept is right, except I personally wouldn't double up the 2 by front and back.
this is just a plastic 7 by 7 shed and according to website, 351 lbs. personally id look at the price difference between framing with 2 by 4 PT 16" OC  compared to using 2 by 6 PT 24 OC.
don't think id bother with the joist hangers.
I don't think it gets any easier than what the video shows.

Thank you.  This is what I needed to hear.

Appreciate the help men.