Woodnet Forums
Turning Question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Turning Question (/showthread.php?tid=7328737)

Turning Question - gMike - 03-15-2017

I don't turn, which will become readily apparent in a minute.  I was looking at some soapstone carvings this morning and saw a soapstone ball point pen.  I looked at several hundred carved pieces of soapstone and only saw one pen.  My question is, has anyone here turned a soapstone pen?  It seems to me that trying to jam a ballpoint refill and associated pieces into a piece of stone would be a recipe for disaster.  What say you spinner folks?

RE: Turning Question - chips ahoy - 03-15-2017

You might want to check with Grey Mountain or Michael Mouse.Seems to me it would be rather soft to insert a pen mechanism into.

Mel

RE: Turning Question - Arlin Eastman - 03-15-2017

I had a guy give me 4 pieces of soapstone 4x4x4 and after turning one and thinking I could get a thin wall well it was not to be.

On a pen I would drill the blank and glue in the brass then turn it down and sand it the rest of the way and I would not cut closer then 1/4" before sanding.

When I get ready to do one of the other three I will try some thin CA to the walls to get them more stable.

Me I would love to find out where to get some and turn some pens or other stuff but I have just plain gray stuff with nothing noticeable about it but good for practice.
Yes

RE: Turning Question - AHill - 03-15-2017

It's been done before, but like Arlin said, you need a larger size pen kit to turn soapstone without risking blowout.  It's very brittle.  Turn down to maybe 1/8" from final dimension, then sand to the final size.  Use CA to harden it.  Polish with micromesh.  I looked to see if Tru-stone came in a soapstone and it did not.  Tru-stone is artificial stone that looks very much like the real thing.

RE: Turning Question - Grey Mountain - 03-16-2017

I have never done pens and have never worked with soapstone, so I can't offer any advice.

GM

RE: Turning Question - Wipedout - 03-16-2017

(03-15-2017, 07:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: When I get ready to do one of the other three I will try some thin CA to the walls to get them more stable.

I doubt that CA will help.  Soapstone is completely Nonporous 

My kitchen island is soapstone.  Sanding it makes talcum powder.

RE: Turning Question - MichaelMouse - 03-16-2017

(03-16-2017, 10:42 AM)Wipedout Wrote: My kitchen island is soapstone.  Sanding it makes talcum powder.

Which, as we know, is bad for living things either high (lungs) or low.