Woodnet Forums
A simple segmented pen - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A simple segmented pen (/showthread.php?tid=7328872)

Pages: 1 2

A simple segmented pen - JTTHECLOCKMAN - 03-20-2017

I have seen a few pens shown here so thought i would post one that I finished today. I was finally able to get in my shop after my back went out on me a couple weeks ago. I finished up a blank for a pen I was making. This is a Sierra Vista chrome kit with a black acylic and aluminum celtic knot that i made. Spun it and polished to a high shine. Thanks for looking and any questions or comments are always welcomed.

RE: A simple segmented pen - mranum - 03-20-2017

Cool  Sleek looking.

RE: A simple segmented pen - AHill - 03-20-2017

Elegant and yet simple.  Nice, nice job!

RE: A simple segmented pen - Arlin Eastman - 03-21-2017

Well done on the fit and finish John.
Yes

RE: A simple segmented pen - EvilTwin - 03-21-2017

Very pretty. Is that knot a specialty blank that you turned?

RE: A simple segmented pen - JTTHECLOCKMAN - 03-21-2017

[attachment=1716 Wrote:EvilTwin pid='7448386' dateline='1490095402'][attachment=1717]Very pretty.  Is that knot a specialty blank that you turned?

Not sure what a specialty blank is. But I made this blank from black acylic and cut the celtic knot design in it and filled with 1/16" aluminum. Glued that in place using epoxy. Then spun it round and finished and polished it. 

I added this to a series of pens I have been making that I use black acrylic and aluminum.

RE: A simple segmented pen - EvilTwin - 03-21-2017

A specialty blank would be one of those premade blanks you buy and just turn.  Since you are making these yourself, if you have some pictures of the process I would love to see em.  Especially how you get that aluminum into position and how you form it and position it in a mold.

RE: A simple segmented pen - mranum - 03-21-2017

I love that look. 
Cool

RE: A simple segmented pen - Turner52 - 03-21-2017

Beautiful pen. Info on the celtic knot would be appreciated

RE: A simple segmented pen - Gary G™ - 03-21-2017

The joinery on your segments looks perfect. Nice work.