Woodnet Forums
Honey dippers - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Honey dippers (/showthread.php?tid=7328973)

Pages: 1 2

Honey dippers - Steve K - 03-24-2017

Haven't posted anything in a while. Here are some mason jar honey dippers. I make quite a few of these, especially this time of year.

[Image: lids4.JPG.46b35244ff8cf5f11fb66e95fb684682.JPG]

Mostly maple and cherry with some white oak or hickory here and there.

RE: Honey dippers - chips ahoy - 03-24-2017

Those look great,what finish did you use?

Mel

RE: Honey dippers - Arlin Eastman - 03-24-2017

Steve

Did you put the lid in the center or did you use the PSI kits.  By the way I like what you did to the tops of them alot

RE: Honey dippers - Dusty Workshop - 03-24-2017

Nice work!

I too want to know how you imbellished the tops.

RE: Honey dippers - Steve K - 03-25-2017

Thanks. The finish on them is 2 coats of shellac, sanded,  and then three coats of Target coatings EM6000 water borne lacquer. The original "artwork" is mine, done with Inkscape and engraved using a cheap Chinese laser engraver.
Arlin, I don't know what kits you're talking about? Did a search on the PSI website and didn't find anything similar.

RE: Honey dippers - chips ahoy - 03-25-2017

(03-25-2017, 05:00 AM)Steve K Wrote: Thanks. The finish on them is 2 coats of shellac, sanded,  and then three coats of Target coatings EM6000 water borne lacquer. The original "artwork" is mine, done with Inkscape and engraved using a cheap Chinese laser engraver.
Arlin, I don't know what kits you're talking about? Did a search on the PSI website and didn't find anything similar.

Steve I like your art work,imagine how good it would be if you had a better engraver.Keep up the good work.

Mel

RE: Honey dippers - Arlin Eastman - 03-26-2017

Here you go Steve

https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=mason+jar

RE: Honey dippers - Steve K - 03-26-2017

(03-26-2017, 01:04 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Here you go Steve

https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=mason+jar

Thanks Arlin, had no idea. Guess I didn't find them because I searched for "mason jar honey dipper"? I will say, I have made a few hundred of my version over the last two years. That's given me a good idea what it costs me to make one without a "kit".  Basically all a guy needs is a lid that fits a mason ja

RE: Honey dippers - NCPaladin - 03-26-2017

Looks good.  I may have to try that.
Are they just friction fit like the PSI "jam chuck"?
I had thought of using canning rings and epoxy them in.  You would still see most of the wood on the inside.
[attachment=1753]

RE: Honey dippers - Steve K - 03-26-2017

(03-26-2017, 03:17 PM)NCPaladin Wrote: Looks good.  I may have to try that.
Are they just friction fit like the PSI "jam chuck"?
I had thought of using canning rings and epoxy them in.  You would still see most of the wood on the inside.

Thanks! Early on I did some with canning rings but I didn't care for them and thought they might be hard to clean. I had kind of forgotten about the idea and then I stumbled on to these
My local Ace has them $3.99 for a box of eight so they're not real expensive. Just in case you're interested here is how I do them. Actually, I've changed my process some since I made this video but it will give an idea at least