Woodnet Forums
Caster Opinions - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Caster Opinions (/showthread.php?tid=7329579)

Pages: 1 2

Caster Opinions - Jason28 - 04-18-2017

I'm putting my drill press on a mobile base, but I really don't want to put $60+ worth of casters under on it.

I know there are better casters out there, but these aren't going to roll very far, so I'm looking opinions on these casters from Grizzly: Casters

Any other recommendations? I've found a few other suppliers but they want so much for shipping the price gets prohibitive again.

RE: Caster Opinions - branchacctg - 04-18-2017

I've taken the casters off of several Harbor Freight dollies and used them (dollies about $6 each, get four casters per dolly). Seem to work fine

RE: Caster Opinions - Bibliophile 13 - 04-18-2017

+1 on the Harbor Freight casters. Surprisingly robust for the price.

RE: Caster Opinions - YSU65 - 04-18-2017

+2 for the HF wheels.  Your DP is probably really not that heavy.  Work fine form my Griz 17" BS.

RE: Caster Opinions - JDuke - 04-18-2017

I bought a mini pallet jack and have built small custom pallets for most of my stuff, for exactly the reason your mentioning.

4 sets of casters and your above the price of a pallet jack.

The best part is the tools don't shift the way some casters do.

2.5" of clearance is all you need to get the pallet jack under.

Some things seem a little unsteady, 18" bamdsaw is a little top heavy if floor isn't perfectly level.

Duke

RE: Caster Opinions - Jason28 - 04-18-2017

(04-18-2017, 11:45 AM)branchacctg Wrote: I've taken the casters off of several Harbor Freight dollies and used them (dollies about $6 each, get four casters per dolly). Seem to work fine

You're talking about furniture dollies? I hadn't even considered that option.

RE: Caster Opinions - shoottmx - 04-18-2017

(04-18-2017, 12:29 PM)Jason28 Wrote: You're talking about furniture dollies? I hadn't even considered that option.

Yes. I've done the same thing, amazingly cheap. I also use them to move projects around the shop. For larger pieces like a chest of drawers I screw two together with a piece of plywood sized to fit the piece in process. When it's complete just remove the plywood and reuse the dollies.

g

RE: Caster Opinions - fredhargis - 04-18-2017

Yeah, the castors on those furniture dollies are really useful. I built my version of Norm's clamp rack and used the dolly castors. this thing probably weighs over 400# and those castors have been on it for well over 10 years.

RE: Caster Opinions - jlanciani - 04-19-2017

The problem with the casters form the furniture dollies is that they are not locking type casters. There is no way I'd want my drill press sitting on wheels with no good way to keep it from moving in use.

RE: Caster Opinions - WarEagle Todd - 04-19-2017

Home Depot sells really good red casters that look a lot like the ones Woodcraft sells.