Woodnet Forums
Cleaning graphite (pencil lines) from a cast-iron bandsaw table - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cleaning graphite (pencil lines) from a cast-iron bandsaw table (/showthread.php?tid=7329618)

Cleaning graphite (pencil lines) from a cast-iron bandsaw table - jihhwood - 04-19-2017

Pretty simple question, but here goes:  What's the best way to remove pencil lines that I've drawn on the cast iron table of my bandsaw.  (The lines were drawn as part of my effort to adjust the fence for drift.)  I've thought to WD-40 and acetone.  Each could possibly be used in combination with very fine (0000) steel wool.  Following the cleaning I would plan to put a coat of pate wax.  What are your recommendations?  Thanks.

RE: Cleaning graphite (pencil lines) from a cast-iron bandsaw table - JGrout - 04-19-2017

rubbing alcohol

RE: Cleaning graphite (pencil lines) from a cast-iron bandsaw table - Wizard of Oz - 04-20-2017

Yep, like JGrout said. Works great on wood too, for getting those lines off.

RE: Cleaning graphite (pencil lines) from a cast-iron bandsaw table - jihhwood - 04-20-2017

Thank you, gentlemen!

RE: Cleaning graphite (pencil lines) from a cast-iron bandsaw table - CLETUS - 04-21-2017

eraser

RE: Cleaning graphite (pencil lines) from a cast-iron bandsaw table - Steve N - 04-23-2017

About anything that will go POOF if lit will get the graphite out/off. Kerosene/Diesel has a pretty high flash. auto ignition point, so it is usually considered safer to use for cleaning than many other ignitable liquids.