Woodnet Forums
Raccoon family in my attic - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Raccoon family in my attic (/showthread.php?tid=7330237)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - fredhargis - 05-16-2017

dav, I have not seen that kind of trap before....I may have to order one (or 2).

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - carwashguy - 05-16-2017

"Don't use this trap unless you are willing to kill the raccoon"  
The guy I borrowed the trap from used to be an exterminator.  He told me that I had to kill them, it is illegal to relocate.  I don't have a problem doing it but was shocked that that was the law here in Massachusetts.
Trap was out last night but I didn't catch anything.  My dogs were going crazy at about 2am.  I think the family may have relocated. I haven't heard them giggling up in the attic like I did yesterday and there is some insulation on the ground where they come in and out.  I'm going to go up there and check in about half an hour.

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - Grainraiser - 05-20-2017

I would get a trap and set it up right outside the access point. I been having a problem with coons and possums setting up shop under my deck. Possums are easy to trap but coons are much smarter. My coon keep going into the trap and grabbing the food without tripping the trap. I had to tie fishing line to the bait to catch him. I threw a old pillow over the trap to muffle the shot from my .22 mag to dispatch him. I threw the body in a dumpster at my local car wash. I broke a few rules but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Grainraiser

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - carwashguy - 05-23-2017

Just to update:  I haven't caught the mother yet but was able to remove the 4 pups last night.  I knew she would be upset but I didn't expect her to make a massive poo under my deck for my dog to roll in
Sad  Dog is cleaned up but I hope she doesn't do this again

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - fredhargis - 05-23-2017

Yeah, that really sucks. I bought one of those leg hold traps that dav linked. the spring is so strong I had to use channel locks to compress. I intend to set it in the barn...my only concern is whether I'll have a screaming coon at midnight out there....my barn is actually closer to my neighbors house than mine.

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - Stwood_ - 05-23-2017

Careful with those havaheart traps. A full grown coon can and will reach through the openings in the cage wire, right where your hand has a grip on the handle. Wear a heavy glove when handling the cage when it has a coon in it.
They have long, skinny front arms.

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - Harold O. - 05-23-2017

We had trouble with squirrels when moving into our house. Havahart traps and a pellet gun did the trick.

After relocating the first few, I learned it was illegal to do so in Los Angeles city limits. It's bad for parasite reasons as well as the squirrel. Seems squirrels are territorial and relocating them makes them vulnerable to starvation and/or attack by other squirrels already in the area. As tough as it was initially, the trap, pellet gun, and chicken wire solved my problem.

We have neighborhood raccoons and skunks as well, but so far not in my worry zone.

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - Cooler - 05-24-2017

The pest control guy showed up last week.  He went into the attic and determined that there was raccoon activity in the attic but they were not currently present.

He sealed off access spaces with chicken wire and aluminum flashing (none of which shows).  It took him about 3 hours and cost me $200.00.  It seemed like a fair price for the labor and materials.

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - tomsteve - 05-24-2017

we had the problem in our house back in the 80's. a friend of my dads was a retired critter gitter and suggested this. said he made lots of money off of people but this was simple and effective:

put a portable stereo or speaker or something that can blast music up in the attic. have it set up so while downstairs it can be turned on( and loud) when the critters are heard up there. they will poop and get real quick.
first time we heard the critters ( coons in this case) they were hustlin out in less than 5 minutes once the music was blasting.

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - Bob10 - 01-18-2018

(05-15-2017, 02:35 PM)carwashguy Wrote: My neighbor has an outbuilding that had a raccoon living in the attic. He had the roof replaced a couple of weeks ago and the noise from the workers must have convinced the raccoon to move out.  Problem is that it appears that the raccoon and very likely a few babies have taken up residence in MY attic.  I am going to borrow a Hav-a-heart trap from my other neighbor but.....how do I make sure I get them all?  If I go up into the attic there isn't a real good escape route.  I do know that they are getting  in thru a missing piece of vinyl soffit.  I will replace it as soon as I know they are out!

Set the trap outside of the house.  Also be careful if you decide to move the trap with a raccoon in it as they can pop open.  I have heard some people stick the trap near a muffler and use the exhaust to slow down the animal.  Check laws in your area because transporting them is illegal in a lot of places.  I deal with raccoons fairly often putting them down in the cage works well