Woodnet Forums
Raccoon family in my attic - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Raccoon family in my attic (/showthread.php?tid=7330237)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - goaliedad - 04-14-2021

If you are live trapping raccoons marshmallows are great bait

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - Cooler - 04-15-2021

I paid an exterminator to get rid of the raccoon in my attic.  He went up and said he was not there anymore and he applied chicken wire barriers to prevent the raccoon from returning.  But his effort was not quite up to the task. 

A raccoon managed to get in, but could not get out and died in the attic.  The smell was horrific.  I called the exterminator and explained what had happened and they informed me that there was a fixed fee of $600.00 to remove dead animals.  I thought it was their fault and they should have taken care of it at no cost. 

I hired my gardener to remove the corpse and replace the obviously soiled fiberglass insulation.  It still took two years for the smell to disappear. 

My gardener found the opening and closed that up for me.  They have not been back since. 

I think that the chicken wire is the right approach, but all the entry points have to be 100% closed off or you may have the same issue I had. 

Sealing off the attic that way is nasty, hot work in unpleasant conditions.  Not fun.  If you can find someone to do the job for you, jump at that opportunity.  But then go and check the work yourself.

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - EatenByLimestone - 04-16-2021

Chicken wire is not strong enough for an animal that will tear through the roof/sheathing or pull the siding off a house.   1/2" hardware cloth is better, but it better be secured with screws and washers.   Best is trim coil that is properly secured.

Best to wear a respirator when in a raccoon attic as roundworm us a really nasty thing you dont want.   Studies have shown 50% of them carry it.

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - Cooler - 04-16-2021

Attics have to remain ventilated, so I'm not sure flashing would be a good idea.

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - EatenByLimestone - 04-16-2021

most venting is accomplished at the soffit and ridge vents.   There are ways to clad each in metal and keep it ventilated.   Same with gable vents.

I was speaking more of dormer tie ins and such.

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - Wild Turkey - 04-16-2021

Had some coons raiding the birdfeeders at the old house one summer.

Put out a pile of birdseed soaked with super hot sauce.

Heard some pitiful moaning that night.

No more birdseed raids
Big Grin

RE: Raccoon family in my attic - EatenByLimestone - 04-17-2021

Lol.   They're smart suckers they won't be back to your feeders!