Woodnet Forums
marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level (/showthread.php?tid=7330401)

marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - EricU - 05-22-2017

I saw a pretty good idea in Fine Homebuilding.  They said to put markings on the floor so that pointing a laser level straight up from that spot would illuminate the place where a j-box should be.  Only problem is that I don't have a laser level.  Any cheap ones worth getting?

I keep thinking there are probably good ways to do the same thing.  One that comes to mind is a ladder and a plumb bob

RE: marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - JGrout - 05-22-2017

rent one 

pretty simple solution

RE: marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - Cub_Cadet_GT - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 04:21 PM)EricU Wrote: They said to put markings on the floor 

One that comes to mind is a ladder and a plumb bob

Not sure why we need a laser to do what we have been able to do for centuries.

I am all for progress, but one does not need a laser level to mark where can lights should go.

RE: marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - blackhat - 05-22-2017

One doesn't need one but I could mark 5 or 6 times faster with a 5 dot laser. My times worth $100 an hour.

RE: marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - EricU - 05-22-2017

for this job, I could really just use one of the $20 ones, I think.  Self-leveling would be nice

RE: marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - Bob10 - 05-22-2017

My nephew is an electrician and uses this method and while probably the easiest way to get it done don't lose sight of the fact the floor is known the obstacles in the ceiling often are not so use caution before cutting big holes

RE: marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - EricU - 05-23-2017

right now I have about 15 j-boxes I need to cut out.  I'm going to take pictures before I put up the drywall

RE: marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - Goatman - 05-31-2017

Use a plumb bob to mark the floor.  Hang the drywall.  Use a plumb bob to mark the ceiling from the mark on the floor.

RE: marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - KC - 05-31-2017

(05-22-2017, 04:21 PM)EricU Wrote: I saw a pretty good idea in Fine Homebuilding.  They said to put markings on the floor so that pointing a laser level straight up from that spot would illuminate the place where a j-box should be.  Only problem is that I don't have a laser level.  Any cheap ones worth getting?

I keep thinking there are probably good ways to do the same thing.  One that comes to mind is a ladder and a plumb bob

Flashlight.  Keychain laser attached to something so it sits on the floor.

RE: marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level - EricU - 05-31-2017

I got one of the $14 Ryobi laser cubes.  Figure there are a few apps that I will be able to find for it, and a decent laser level will mostly sit unused most of the time.