Woodnet Forums
Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit (/showthread.php?tid=7330431)

Pages: 1 2

Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - iclark - 05-24-2017

Has anyone tried one of the Woodriver Stainless Steel- BBQ Pig Tail Flipper turning kit?
[Image: zoom.jpg?c=1480948472]
One of the features is that
> Kit comes with a threaded insert for easy removal of handle for cleaning

I expect that removing the handle will actually be most important for getting it to fit in a drawer.

The picture shows the threaded insert as being removable from the steel.

Neither I nor any of the Woodcraft employees could figure out how to get them apart this evening.

The kits come in 16" and 10" with what looks to be the same insert arrangement for both.

There are no instructions on the Woodcraft site.

Anyone know how to get the threaded inserts off of the steel and then re-assemble it later?

RE: Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - Sawdustd - 05-24-2017

I have not seen or used this kit BUT --- it is very similar to other kits where the kit comes with the hardware and you turn the handle.  Examples: ice cream scoops and cheese knife sets from Rockler.    In both cases, the "implement" comes with a threaded insert screwed -- normally, only hand tight tp the end of the implement.   A pair of pliers will loosen a tight insert.  
      Next step is drill a hole in the end of the blank to a depth the length of the threaded insert and diameter of the insert.  I use brad point bits.  The kit should indicate the diameter of bit to use.  If not, start with a bit 1/64 smaller than the diameter of the insert.   I use an allen wrench to screw in the insert.  In all cases, TEST with a scrap piece of wood same as the blank using different size bits.   

Dave

RE: Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - hairy - 05-24-2017

I also think it could just be screwed on too tight. Put the insert end in wood jaws of a vise, and turn the shaft out.  Maybe a little heat on the insert.

RE: Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - FrankAtl - 05-24-2017

Somehow, someway I would impale myself with one of those!

RE: Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - AHill - 05-24-2017

The insert is mounted in the handle.  It simply unscrews from the pigtail shaft. You might try a drop or two of epoxy when threading the insert into the handle. If you click the More Details portion of the Woodcraft link, it says:

A Pigtail Flipper is a must-have utensil in any grilling enthusiast’s arsenal. Quickly and easily flip chicken, steak, shrimp and even racks of ribs. Crafted from food-safe 304 stainless steel, this Pigtail Flipper Kit makes an ideal replacement for forks, tongs and spatulas. Turning stock for handle sold separately – minimum dimensions: 3/4" x 3/4" x 5". 

Turning a handle is simple and easy. Bore a 3/8"-diameter x 23/32"-deep hole in the center of your turning stock, and install the provided threaded insert. Mount between centers on your lathe, and turn to your desired profile. Sand and apply a finish of your choice. Thread your completed handle onto your Pigtail Flipper Kit.
  • A must-have utensil for any grilling enthusiast
  • Crafted from food-safe 304 stainless steel
  • Kit comes with a threaded insert for easy removal of handle for cleaning
  • 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" minimum blank size

RE: Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - Herb G - 05-25-2017

I haven't made one, but the insert should simply twist off the rod.
I wouldn't make it with anything less than a 1.25" square blank.
A 3/4" blank is not much to hold on to with greasy hands.
Smirk

RE: Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - iclark - 05-25-2017

Thanks everyone for the inputs. They are all appreciated.

FWIW, three of us tried different ways to get the inserts off in the store (including one attempt with a vise). We were perhaps overcautious about not wanting to break anything.

AHill: I could have sworn that the 16" pig tail webpage said attach rather than thread the pigtail to the handle. I did send my question to the WC CS folks last night. I have not gotten an answer back from them via email, but maybe you found there answer.

I will try some of the suggestions for getting the inserts off if I can manage some time in the shop this weekend.

FrankAtl: I do not expect to use them. They will be gifts for family. I share your expectation of what would happen if I tried to use them.
Sigh

I did have the cashier put them in the bag point-up so that they would not go through the bag and find my foot.
Eek
Laugh

RE: Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - Herb G - 05-25-2017

Just a stray thought. Maybe the insert is left hand thread.
Righty loosey. Lefty tighty.

RE: Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - AHill - 05-25-2017

It's possible they installed it backwards. The slot in the threaded insert goes in first. It helps the threads bite when getting installed. Or, they may have glued in the handle when they made it to prevent curious folks from walking off with the handle. Or, maybe they did use epoxy to glue in the insert, and then threaded on the handle before the epoxy cured, thus fixing the shaft to the handle.

RE: Woodriver BBQ Pig Tail Flipper kit - iclark - 05-26-2017

This is the kit as it hangs on the wall at Woodcraft. There are 2 pig tail turners and each has the threaded insert attached.

The kit is still in the car and I just got home from work and I am too tired to go look. There was no slot in the end of the threaded insert that faces you when you take it out of the package. I do not recall seeing one in the other end, but I will double check in the morning.

FWIW, WC CS has not answered my email about this yet.