Woodnet Forums
What to do with mulbury wood? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What to do with mulbury wood? (/showthread.php?tid=7330551)

What to do with mulbury wood? - Tynyyn - 05-28-2017

I've got a stack of mulbury lumber which had fully dried and now am wondering what to do with it.  The length is about 4' and is two inches thick.  The width ranges from 14" down to 6".  Some of the widest boards have long cracks through the entire length which makes those boards good for cutting down to three inch widths.  Probably seven slabs in the entire lot.

Don't know what mulbury is good for or if it is "throw-away" wood.  Do you guys have suggestions?

The color when it was milled was an almost yellow cream color.  Now it has seasoned into a tan-ish brown.  I haven't cut into it to see if it is still yellow, but I would guess it has turned brown through out.

RE: What to do with mulbury wood? - Stwood_ - 05-28-2017

Make about anything out of it. End tables, small turnings, small gift boxes

RE: What to do with mulbury wood? - JimReed@Tallahassee - 05-28-2017

Like all fruitwood, mulberry is good for turning. Chisel handles, etc are all good candidates.

RE: What to do with mulbury wood? - iclark - 05-28-2017

That is some big mulberry. Around here, it is such a trash tree that they rarely gets big enough for that sort of lumber.

As other suggested, fruit woods turn and carve well.

It sounds like you have a quantity of wood that it would make a nice pendulum cradle or a pair of end tables. You could always do spindles/slats  for the sides of the cradle or drawers/doors for the end tables with a contrasting wood.

If their are nor splits than you originally thought, a floor-standing quilt rack might be a thought.

RE: What to do with mulbury wood? - TomFromStLouis - 05-29-2017

Mulberry has very good rot resistance and is suitable for an outdoor project. Butter yellow when cut, it will fade to a golden brown over time. It will take a decent polish and shapes well under hand tools; what's not to like?

RE: What to do with mulbury wood? - C. in Indy - 05-29-2017

I think I saw some videos where Japan craftsman making tansu cabinets very much prized mulberry.  (Particularly figured mulberry.)

Chris