Woodnet Forums
Sycamore - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sycamore (/showthread.php?tid=7331088)

Pages: 1 2

Sycamore - Bill Holt - 06-19-2017

I have about 18 pieces of green sycamore off the band saw, Anchorsealed, and stacked.  I am guessing Sycamore is soft and prone to tear-out.  What advice do you have?  Soon I hope to have the time to turn a few of them into 1" thick bowls.

RE: Sycamore - Arlin Eastman - 06-19-2017

Sycamore is the same as soft maple and just sharp tools will take care of it for sure.
Yes

I love to turn it q sawn.

RE: Sycamore - badwhiskey - 06-19-2017

I've only turned one piece, but my recollection is that there were no problems.  Turned out nice.

RE: Sycamore - Joe K1 - 07-07-2017

Large condo complex next to us in So, Calif.  Complex has been removing Sycamore Trees in the lawn areas that are a little over 40 years old. They get plenty of water and fertilizer and are 3'+ in dia.and about 100' tall.  This Sycamore will require at least 20% for green rough turn.  The first year I allowed 10-15% for warp age and lost most because there wasn't room for a final clean up cut.  I finished a couple by hand sanding off the lathe - no fun.  Next year I was a little wiser and had better results.  Last year, power post beetles in 6 months took over about half of the rough turned bowls.  I worried about the rest so only kept a couple.

Wet Sycamore will permanently stain clothes and concrete. Cast iron and non-plated steel will stain almost immediately.  It can make an attractive bowl but to me its not worth the effort even when its free.

RE: Sycamore - robo hippy - 07-10-2017

Quarter saw for best ray patterns. Can be plain light color, or have reds and browns in it. I always once turn things, so warping is not a problem for me. I think it is the only wood I have seen that moves as much as madrone, however, sycamore is pretty predictable in how it moves... it does cut like a soft wood, but it seems I always have to start sanding with 80 grit no matter what I do to it. It does seem to fuzz up or at least feel kind of coarse when exposed to a couple of weather changes...

robo hippy

RE: Sycamore - Bill Holt - 07-10-2017

Up date:
31 bowls roughed to about 3/4" and Anchorsealed, most are near 8 x 5, a few are close to 10 x 5.

Trivia:
Bagged 360 gallons of shavings!!!!!
The wall is stained.
The ways are stained.
Floor behind the lathe has a heavy coating the DC cannot pick up.

Am I having fun yet?

RE: Sycamore - Arlin Eastman - 07-10-2017

You know the drill Bill.  No pictures did not  .... 
Laugh
Winkgrin

RE: Sycamore - Joe K1 - 07-11-2017

Be sure to watch the distortion / movement as it dries and final turn before it moves so far that there in not enough material left to turn in the lathe. If it is not completely dry, it will continue to distort so don't count on being able to do a final clean-up cut later. If you used a recess to chuck the bowl, you probably will have to clean it up with a chisel or something so it will go back on the chuck.
I've had the best luck drying in a lidded trash can outside and out of direct sun. I drilled a few holes in the sides at the base and have a few bricks in the bottom so air can circulate. Each morning before it starts to warm up, I remove the lid for a half hour or so. The lid will be full of condensate and when the condensate stops collecting you can let them air dry w/o too many worries. Every 3-4 days move the bowls to a different level and Orientation. You will probably find that a 10 inch 3/4" wall bowl will need to be re-turned way before it is dry. Mold is also a problem with Sycamore. I tried just wax emulsion sealing only the end grain of the bowl and had a big problem with mold. once it starts, it moves rapidly through end grain.

RE: Sycamore - robo hippy - 07-11-2017

This is one of the woods that can warp well beyond the 10% rule.

robo hippy

RE: Sycamore - Bill Holt - 07-11-2017

Thank you Joe and Robo for the useful information.  I do not have a lot of time on my hands to "baby sit" the bowls.  Nor do I have a lot of space.  For now they are stacked pyramid style in my shed.  Considering the Texas heat I guess I need watch them closely.  Would another coat of Anchorseal help?

Joe, I do prefer the recess in the bottom, but something told me to put a tenon on these.

Bowl turning is how I relax, normally; this is turning into work....I am no good at doing work!