Woodnet Forums
That tool you had to have for one job - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: That tool you had to have for one job (/showthread.php?tid=7331643)

Pages: 1 2

That tool you had to have for one job - K. L. McReynolds - 07-11-2017

which was relegated to the corner afterwards-------
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes 

Yup, used it tonight---mortising machine(hand operated). Made a gavel for the chairperson on a commission I was appointed to be a member.

And also used my band saw, table saw, planer, router table and jointer!

Plus a chisel to trim the mortise hole.

Oh, clamps to glue the three pieces of walnut together and my ROS to smooth.

Probably the most expensive project I ever did----
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

RE: That tool you had to have for one job - RobertM - 07-11-2017

I'm the kind of guy that if I need a tool I get it, it may be a long time till I need it again but at least I have it.
Way better to have something and not need it than need something and not have it.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

RE: That tool you had to have for one job - gMike - 07-12-2017

Having a tool and not needing it is far better than needing a tool and not having it.  I bought a Fein Multimaster many years ago when they were fairly expensive (no knock off copies available) for a particular job.  It worked perfectly and I didn't use it again for a long time.  Then a need came up and I was glad I had it.  Now I find many more uses for it than I originally thought it would be good for.

RE: That tool you had to have for one job - JGrout - 07-12-2017

I have a few of those tools in my shop too 

nice to have when you need it but space hog otherwise. 

Joe

RE: That tool you had to have for one job - WaterlooMarc - 07-12-2017

Yes I'm getting to the point to where space is becoming the primary concern. My wife's daddy was a mechanic so in 16 years of marriage I've never caught any flack about my, often profligate, tool acquisitions. I was about convinced to sell off my Festool Delta sander the other day until danced if it didn't come in handy on a project I just finished.

RE: That tool you had to have for one job - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 07-12-2017

Same here. Every tool I own was purchased for a specific need. Most of those tools have seen lots of use for multiple jobs. Some, though, just sit after that *one* use.

RE: That tool you had to have for one job - daddo - 07-12-2017

Hands holding it in place and a need to tap it further, the hammer was out of reach, so I reached for that "thingamujig" I had bought many years ago to hit it with. I was glad right then I had bought it!

RE: That tool you had to have for one job - Bill Holt - 07-12-2017

My dad gave me this advice shortly after I married, "If you need a tool, buy it, you will need it again."

After my shop was full, I adopted the rule: If I don't have a place for it, I can not buy it.  Exception: checking Craig's List, Jet mortise machine, $50.  I bought it,  found a place for it.  I have not used many times, but I am very glad I have it!

K.L. you will use it again and be very happy you have it collecting dust.

RE: That tool you had to have for one job - Aram - 07-12-2017

Yep.

Bosch Finecut. Needed once and never again. Disco-ed, so if I ever need it again, I have no idea where I'll get replacement blades!

RE: That tool you had to have for one job - LarryK - 07-13-2017

Bought an oscillating cutter for a job 6 years ago. I didn't think I'd ever use it again. I use it all the time. I bought a battery powered Bosch. It broke because I loaned it out... I'll say no more on that. I got another Bosch with a cord. I learned as of late go buy a cheap one harbor freights work as good and for $15 you can't beat it. I should've bought a cheap one to begin with but live and learn.