Woodnet Forums
I just screwed up - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: I just screwed up (/showthread.php?tid=7331759)

Pages: 1 2

I just screwed up - Tincanman - 07-16-2017

I cut a hinge pocket on the wrong edge, the latch edge of my door.  Any suggestions on best method to patch it?

RE: I just screwed up - goaliedad - 07-16-2017

Are you painting or staining the door? Cut a wood patch and glue it in???

RE: I just screwed up - Tincanman - 07-16-2017

staining the door

RE: I just screwed up - K. L. McReynolds - 07-16-2017

Cut another at the opposite end, fabricate filler pieces and call the result a new design.

Or, to get really involved, cut matching hinges and install them as fillers.

RE: I just screwed up - Snipe Hunter - 07-16-2017

I know it won't help but I've done it too.

RE: I just screwed up - museumguy - 07-16-2017

It really depends on how "invisible" you want the repair. The suggestions already stated are perfect if you are not trying to be inconspicuous, nothing wrong with that. The more you want the repair to be hidden, the more work involved.

Just something to ponder.

RE: I just screwed up - ronlaughlin - 07-16-2017

What makes you think anyone will notice?

RE: I just screwed up - jteneyck - 07-16-2017

Rip off that edge of the door to the depth of the hinge pocket and glue on a new piece of wood.  Lots of effort but it will be nearly invisible when done. 

John

RE: I just screwed up - JosephP - 07-16-2017

(07-16-2017, 08:51 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Rip off that edge of the door to the depth of the hinge pocket and glue on a new piece of wood.  Lots of effort but it will be nearly invisible when done. 

John

That is probably what I would do...or route it out and glue a new piece in so you don't disturb the face of the door.

RE: I just screwed up - JGrout - 07-16-2017

Well you have two things in your favor 

one you have the cutoffs from your original efforts 

Two  you can trim the door the depth of the hinge pocket so it is more like a rabbet then glue in a piece of the cutoff you have 

that preserves at least one face 

One more question you should answer is have you put the bevel on the door latch side yet? you need clearance for the door to close properly and if you have not put the bevel on yet you may just be able to trim it off

Joe