Woodnet Forums
glue - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: glue (/showthread.php?tid=7331820)

Pages: 1 2

glue - bgosh - 07-19-2017

What would be the best glue for gluing treated lumber together?  
Rolleyes

RE: glue - Bill Holt - 07-19-2017

I've only done it once.  Built a "fort" for the grand kids.  Used Titebond II and deck screws for several laminated 2x6 post.  That was at least 10 years ago and she is still standing tall.  At one time the oldest grandson wanted to "remodel" the fort, when he remover the screws he said the boards were "still stuck together".

RE: glue - bcw - 07-19-2017

Pressure treated - so it's going to be outdoors.  You need a waterproof glue.

+1 Titebond II if the wood is pretty dry
or
Gorilla glue (polyurethane) if the wood is a little damp, it will be messy as this glue will foam
or
Liquid Nails if the wood is a little damp.  Good enough for Norm to use on his outdoor builds.  Hard to get a thin bond though.

RE: glue - bgosh - 07-19-2017

Thank  you, The titebond was I was leaning toward.
Smile

RE: glue - Cooler - 07-19-2017

Titebond claims that Titebond III is waterproof type 1 Ansi; and Titebond II is type 2 Ansi approved for waterproof.

Here is a description of the Ansi specs:  http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/best-practices-guide/solid-wood-machining/what-difference-between-type-1-and-type-2-adhesive

Type 3 has a longer open time as I recall and that might be the deciding factor.

RE: glue - Steve N - 07-19-2017

(07-19-2017, 12:27 PM)bgosh Wrote: What would be the best glue for gluing treated lumber together?  
Rolleyes

TBIII is supposedly water/weatherproof, but my experience is it doesn't work well if the wood is wet to start with. I'd use Ape glue, just know about those bubbles ahead of time, always clamp stuff you use it on, or it will move it to a different zip code. I do, and you can also swap wood screws for clamps
Big Grin It's junk wood to start with, so not likely you are building an heirloom....

RE: glue - petertay15 - 07-19-2017

PL Premium. comes in a caulk-type tube. Lasts longer than the wood.

RE: glue - mike4244 - 07-24-2017

Gorilla glue. I have used Titebond 2 but mitered joints on facia boards opened up. I tried Gorilla glue and that is all I use outside now.
mike

RE: glue - daddo - 07-24-2017

I wouldn't rely on any glue (exclusively) for wood that is constantly exposed to wet, cold and heat. If it supports people or construction, I would use mechanical connections as well.

RE: glue - Cooler - 07-25-2017

(07-19-2017, 04:52 PM)Steve N Wrote: TBIII is supposedly water/weatherproof, but my experience is it doesn't work well if the wood is wet to start with. I'd use Ape glue, just know about those bubbles ahead of time, always clamp stuff you use it on, or it will move it to a different zip code. I do, and you can also swap wood screws for clamps
Big Grin It's junk wood to start with, so not likely you are building an heirloom....

Indeed.  If you use Gorilla glue you are told to lightly wet the surfaces first.  Apparently it improves the bonding.