Woodnet Forums
Another decorative platter. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Another decorative platter. (/showthread.php?tid=7332048)

Another decorative platter. - Steve K - 07-27-2017

This platter is along the same lines as the last one. Soft maple, about 12" dia. and an 1/8" thick. It is burned and pierced to simulate an open basket weave.
It's been in my mind to start adding some color to my work and to that end I have been taking lessons from a local water color artist, not my forte at all. I did several test pieces with water color paint and just couldn't get the "pop" I was after and eventually ended up using aniline dye for the color on this piece. The center motif is a tracing of a photo I found online. Thanks for looking!!

[Image: 3lz6nfqJHyjDcVAmoNZE6ZtUtc7qN4wQFQblG4Vl...20-h643-no]

[Image: EqRbLrNIHTzhpo_oHuQfr6VCyREKKFYajhrKRXGz...17-h643-no]

[Image: 3SGpG_lWbo4XX-iYLCQQxXnfSDAcWh-6KyoW3HMZ...64-h643-no]

RE: Another decorative platter. - Bill Holt - 07-27-2017

Amazing!  I understand adding color in general, but in this case (to me) the bottom is more attractive.  I remember your last "basket".  They really do look like woven baskets.

RE: Another decorative platter. - Steve K - 07-27-2017

(07-27-2017, 03:22 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Amazing!  I understand adding color in general, but in this case (to me) the bottom is more attractive.  I remember your last "basket".  They really do look like woven baskets.

Hi Bill, I really appreciate your honest opinion! I get what you're saying, the underside on this platter turned out about as well as I could have hoped. That little pattern is called "phicops in a circle" and I have used it so-o-o-o many times. I will still pursue using color but I have lots to learn about that.

RE: Another decorative platter. - Turner52 - 07-27-2017

Beautiful piece. Any idea of how many hours you have invested in it? Definily a labor of love.

RE: Another decorative platter. - Arlin Eastman - 07-27-2017

Steve

I do not know what you are meaning when you say pop since that is a piece you nailed on the colors.
Yes

RE: Another decorative platter. - chips ahoy - 07-27-2017

Steve
You have gone from a turner to a true artist,that is beautiful,I love both the bottom and the front,hard to decide which I like more.You sure show some great talent.

Mel