Woodnet Forums
What are they called? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What are they called? (/showthread.php?tid=7332224)

Pages: 1 2

What are they called? - Halfathumb - 08-03-2017

I want to make or buy but can't remember what they're called. The decorative devices that go between the ceiling and the lights. I even made one for my neighbor a few years ago.

I don't want to go around asking for a thingamijig the goes on the whatsamacallit.

Please help an old man's failing memory.

Jim

RE: What are they called? - Steve N - 08-03-2017

You might be describing a ceiling medallion, which is the decorative white surrounding the lights base in the pic below

[Image: 02eafa5e-ae13-4c74-a30d-7b4b110eb8d5.jpg]

Now the bronze looking part is the base, but we use base on the bottom usually, so many call them "canopies" I don't know an electrician that does, but in the "lighting showrooms" holding my pinkie up, and smiling real big......

[Image: woman-drinking-tea-with-pinky-up.jpeg]

RE: What are they called? - JGrout - 08-03-2017

ceiling escutcheons

RE: What are they called? - Halfathumb - 08-03-2017

Steve;

Ding Ding Ding. You got it right. I'll probably paint to match the walls.

RE: What are they called? - Steve N - 08-03-2017

I would definitely buy one, they make them from a heavy duty foam, so holding it over your head to install, even if it does fall and smak ya in the head, no biggie. Wood, now that could be a 3 day stay in the hospital
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

In the day, they had plasterers do those things, some of the guys were artists. Some not so much. You could figure it out with a quick look up
Big Grin

RE: What are they called? - Bob10 - 08-03-2017

I have 6 of those in my house and I know that sounds like bragging but I have to be honest I put them up with a few screws and some adhesive.  I imagine someday they will have to get painted
Laugh

RE: What are they called? - Halfathumb - 08-04-2017

Just for the record, I'll be using these on 1/2 of the kitchen ceiling where I'm using HM ply to match the cabinets.

RE: What are they called? - Cooler - 08-04-2017

Amazon shows them from $6.00 to $150.00.  

https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Medallions/b?ie=UTF8&node=14328061

RE: What are they called? - joespehar - 08-04-2017

My wife and I were just at a local light fixture store yesterday, and I saw them on display.

RE: What are they called? - BrokenOlMarine - 08-05-2017

Cooler,

I had to go check out Amazon and see what a $150 medallion looked like. Man, I was hooked, scrolling thru looking at all the options. Foam, plastic, WALNUT, bronze. Then I scrolled a new page and $189 popped up. $209, $259, $300, then a 37-1/2" bronze at over $400 bucks. Man oh man... i'd get a crick in my neck staring up all the time if I put a $400 medallion over a chandelier.

(Yeah, yeah... I know. Folks who do, usually never give the money a second thought... lol.)