Woodnet Forums
How to turn this - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How to turn this (/showthread.php?tid=7332303)

How to turn this - FrankAtl - 08-07-2017

I'm trying to figure out how to turn the detail in the image below and can't figure out how. It seems I saw a video on this once upon a time but I can't find it. Anyone have any links to a video showing this process?

RE: How to turn this - Arlin Eastman - 08-07-2017

To me it looks like it is part of a Celtic knot put into it before it was turned.

RE: How to turn this - FrankAtl - 08-07-2017

I agree Arlin but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've watched how to do a celtic knot but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into a vessel. 

Thanks for the reply Arlin!

RE: How to turn this - Arlin Eastman - 08-07-2017

A celtic knot is cutting the wood almost all the way thru to 1/8" from the end.  Then put in a 1/8" contrasting wood glue it and let it dry.  Then put in the other 2 or 5 or whatever you wish but glue in each one separately.  Same with even a 4x4x4 block of wood.  Practice a few times on some oak or elm or ash or even pine to get the process down first.

Althought this does not look exactly like a celtic knot all the principle is the same thing.  Cut the wood to within the 1/8" from the side and glue it in and you can put 2 or 3 on each side of a 4x4x4 block.

But like I said glue up some pine and see if it is the results you like.
Yes

I am really looking forward to seeing what you make buddy.
Yes

RE: How to turn this - FrankAtl - 08-07-2017

Arlin,
I've never done a celtic knot but I've seen it done. My dilemma or "maybe it's stupidity" is how to make this exact design. To my eyes it looks like a slightly different procedure. 

Maybe I'm just over complicating it! It wouldn't be the first time. 
Big Grin

RE: How to turn this - Angus - 08-07-2017

It's a multi-generation lamination = cut, glued back together cut apart and glued back together again. With that said this just a guess on the procedure or how I'd try it. The top base wood look to be all one piece, what I can't tell is if it was a very thick piece or the cuts were all done on an angle. I would use the bandsaw with a circle cutting jig. Cut what would be a half circle into the main piece 180 degrees form each other, figure out how to do the thin strips blus it back together then do the other 2 sides.

Raised
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Laugh After typing that out Arlin is correct, it's just half of a celtic knot. He started with a square slab, sliced it on an angle glued in the thin strip, rinse wash repeat 4 times. The angle of the cut and turning shape will dictate the elipse.

RE: How to turn this - FrankAtl - 08-08-2017

Yes, I can see where Arlin and Angus are correct. Until now, since the rest of the vessel is segmented I though this part was segmented also. Now I can see it isn't. That should make it much easier!

Thanks guys!

Frank

RE: How to turn this - Arlin Eastman - 08-08-2017

You are welcome buddy
Yes

RE: How to turn this - Dusty Workshop - 08-22-2017

Here is a good video of a Celtic Knot Cup.

Watch "Celtic Knot Cup" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/tWxXMurBSkM

RE: How to turn this - robo hippy - 08-22-2017

Well, I can't see the whole picture, but it looks like it may be the top of a hollow form. If the piece has 4 of the light half loops in it, then it was cut from a rectangular blank, where you cut off about 1/4 or 1/3 of one side, glue in a light piece, and repeat on the other 3 sides. The shape of the loops comes from turning away in that ogee shape. A Celtic Knot comes from cutting diagonally through a square spindle type blank.

robo hippy