Woodnet Forums
African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray (/showthread.php?tid=7332389)

African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray - Splinterz25 - 08-09-2017

Hello once again everyone here's another piece I did this time it's African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple. All my projects are hand done w/ out CNC or computer figured layouts. This "SUN TRAY" is 11" D 1 1/2" deep; the sun inlay is 1/4" thick.

RE: African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray - Arlin Eastman - 08-09-2017

Leave your door open to your shop so I can find the wood I would like to have.
Laugh

RE: African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray - Splinterz25 - 08-09-2017

[attachment=3700]Here's a few shots of the work being done. 

RE: African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray - davidmichealco - 08-10-2017

Awesome!!  Really beautiful piece.  David

RE: African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray - AHill - 08-10-2017

That's really nice!  I like the side profile you did on the tray.  Routing out the base for the inlay takes a steady hand, and you nailed it.  Great job.

RE: African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray - Splinterz25 - 08-10-2017

Thank you very much for your kind words David and Allen; I really like the shape of the tray also, and I'm thinking of doing another w/ out the inlay but giving this one a lid.

Bruce

RE: African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray - Sawdustd - 08-11-2017

Beautiful!!  The frosting on the cake so to speak is the inlay.  That's a BIG wow.  How you managed to "rough" route the inlay outline with a baseplate you can't see through defeats me.   What type of tool(s) did you use to route right on the lines?? 

Dave

RE: African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray - Woodshop - 08-11-2017

very nice
Yes

RE: African Ribbon Stripe Mahogany & Curly Maple Tray - Splinterz25 - 08-12-2017

Thank you... I look at the router bit while cutting at the hole in the center; I used 1/4 & 1/8 inch carbide bits and went very slow.