Woodnet Forums
Chisel ID Help - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Chisel ID Help (/showthread.php?tid=7333256)

Chisel ID Help - sawnuts - 09-14-2017

I picked up this chisel recently. I just started cleaning it and All I can see is WARRANTED as the second line on the stamping. The "arrow" stamp pointing towards the wording may be owner applied. 

I want to say this is a Witherby since they had that verbiage on the chisel. Is that handle a clue? Not sure about the small "o" stamp.

The handle has 3 leather washers.

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks

Mark

RE: Chisel ID Help - Admiral - 09-14-2017

That mark does not resemble Witherby marks found here:

http://galootcentral.com/membersites/brianwelch/witherby/index.htm

RE: Chisel ID Help - DonSlaughter - 09-15-2017

Its a Weatherby.....I have one that is identical and has the name...will post pic of it soon as I can.

Don

RE: Chisel ID Help - sawnuts - 09-18-2017

Well,
So far we have one nay and one yay. I may never know what this and I'm OK with that.

Thanks 

Mark

RE: Chisel ID Help - Hank Knight - 09-18-2017

The handle is a Witherby handle for sure; but handles migrate from chisel to chisel, so who knows. Those markings don't look like Witherby.

RE: Chisel ID Help - AHill - 09-18-2017

Greenlee, C.E. Jennings, and Swan all had handles that look very similar to yours.  It may be possible to bring out the worn out portion of the marking using gun blueing compound.  Sometimes, it'll provide some contrast to the portion that was stamped into the metal.  It's a trick I've used to bring out faded portions of saw etchings as well.  One thing for sure, is it's probably a good chisel, given Witherby, Greenlee, Jennings, and Swan all made very good chisels.

RE: Chisel ID Help - Bibliophile 13 - 09-18-2017

What kind of chisel is it?

A good one.

Sharpen it up and use it.

RE: Chisel ID Help - sawnuts - 09-18-2017

Thanks all,

I have decided to put this on the popular auction site. Should be there Wednesday AM.

I have a duplicate of this one. I can't keep em all......or could I.

Mark

RE: Chisel ID Help - Admiral - 09-18-2017

(09-18-2017, 02:39 PM)sawnuts Wrote: Thanks all,

I have decided to put this on the popular auction site. Should be there Wednesday AM.

Don't expect too much, pretty short for a sash mortise chisel.

RE: Chisel ID Help - andrewb - 09-18-2017

I would have guessed Jennings.