Woodnet Forums
Air compressor help - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Air compressor help (/showthread.php?tid=7333463)

Air compressor help - Herb - 09-22-2017

My old compressor's motor is finished.  To replace it will be about $350.00.  If the model and my memory or correct is a 7hp.  There is nothing on the motor that gives the hp.  The repairman said it was at least a 5hp.  Lowe's has a 60 gal 3.7 hp for about $50.00 more than the motor.  I use the compressor very little, so my question is what do I loose going from at least a 5 HP or maybe 7 down to 3.7 HP?

Like I said it is mostly used to blow the dust off, sometimes an air ratchet and a die grinder.  I have no air sanders but do have an air impact wrench.

Thank you

RE: Air compressor help - oakey - 09-22-2017

Herb
the important part is the cfm,s if your old one has a data tag it will say
Also a 7 h/p is quit liable to be a 2 stage they typically have more cfm,s
A 3.5 h/p compressor will most likely run an impact and be capable of pumping tires dusting off parts etc

RE: Air compressor help - Herb - 09-22-2017

Thanks, that saves me about $400.00.

RE: Air compressor help - appletonrc - 09-24-2017

Keep in mind an old compressor also will have some rust damage on the inside of the tank due to moisture. I'd opt for the new one even though I hate to be part of the disposable nation. I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that I'd be starting over with a new tank. My compressor still works but it's about 20 years old. I've been considering getting a new one. Mine is 12 gallon and the compressor pretty noisy. I'd like to get something that can run my impact gun for more than 2 lug nuts at a time.... some day.