Woodnet Forums
Don Pencil - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Don Pencil (/showthread.php?tid=7333482)

Don Pencil - Angus - 09-23-2017

Does anyone know if he's still in business? His website is still up but seems to be broke. I need some faceplates.

RE: Don Pencil - n7bsn - 09-23-2017

Nope, he closed operations down a couple years ago

He told me this week that some "source" started uncutting his prices, so he closed down.

RE: Don Pencil - Angus - 09-23-2017

Thats what I thought. I just bought a couple of easywood faceplates. Not real impressed with them. Oh well

RE: Don Pencil - Arlin Eastman - 09-23-2017

(09-23-2017, 10:14 PM)Angus Wrote: Thats what I thought. I just bought a couple of easywood faceplates. Not real impressed with them. Oh well

I started making 6 of them with welded nuts on 1" and 3/4" thick plates that are 10" and 8" round.  I thought this way it WILL take out any vibration from the wood. 
Laugh
Laugh

I need to lathe the sides down so they are perfectly round.  If I get this to working I will offer 1x8tpi and 1 1/4 tpi in sizes of 6" to 9" and will stick with 3/4" thick or even maybe 1/2"

RE: Don Pencil - Angus - 09-23-2017

This might be a shock to some but even on my large turnings the biggest face plate I use is 4" the vast majority of my turning are done with a 2 1/2". The face being perfectly flat is more important than being perfectly round.

RE: Don Pencil - Arlin Eastman - 09-23-2017

(09-23-2017, 11:09 PM)Angus Wrote: This might be a shock to some but even on my large turnings the biggest face plate I use is 4" the vast majority of my turning are done with a 2 1/2". The face being perfectly flat is more important than being perfectly round.

Nope no shock at all.  I like mine the same but when I put logs in it I want to make it stable.

Now talking of that Angus my wife and oldest daughter will be flying into Boise Oct 26 - 30 I believe.  Wish I was coming and love to meet you and Dave.
Yes

RE: Don Pencil - Angus - 09-24-2017

Tell them to dress warm. We've been in the 30's all week on the east side of the state.

RE: Don Pencil - SteveS - 09-25-2017

(09-23-2017, 09:49 PM)n7bsn Wrote: Nope, he closed operations down a couple years ago

He told me this week that some "source" started uncutting his prices, so he closed down.

That's a bummer. I bought a bunch of faceplates from him years ago. Great quality stuff.