Woodnet Forums
Color nail hole filler - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Color nail hole filler (/showthread.php?tid=7333768)

Color nail hole filler - Herb - 10-05-2017

I have filled my nail holes with a filler that does not blend in very well in some places. What can I use to now color the filler to match? I used a maple color filler and my plan is to put more coats of lacquer after it is colored.  Will lacquer work well over water-based or acrylic colors?  The maple is finished natural and it has different hues.

I have never done this before, so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

RE: Color nail hole filler - jteneyck - 10-05-2017

(10-05-2017, 05:54 PM)Herb Wrote: I have filled my nail holes with a filler that does not blend in very well in some places. What can I use to now color the filler to match? I used a maple color filler and my plan is to put more coats of lacquer after it is colored.  Will lacquer work well over water-based or acrylic colors?  The maple is finished natural and it has different hues.

I have never done this before, so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

I use Sealcoat shellac with whatever combination of Transtint dye added to it to match the color.  I apply it with an artist's brush, putting it only on the filler.  If the hue is good you can get away with a single coat; if it's too light I apply multiple coats and I'll adjust the color along the way, if needed.  

Shellac sticks to most anything, including wax based nail hole fillers, and any topcoat will stick to it.  

John

RE: Color nail hole filler - Herb - 10-06-2017

(10-05-2017, 07:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I use Sealcoat shellac with whatever combination of Transtint dye added to it to match the color.  I apply it with an artist's brush, putting it only on the filler.  If the hue is good you can get away with a single coat; if it's too light I apply multiple coats and I'll adjust the color along the way, if needed.  

Shellac sticks to most anything, including wax based nail hole fillers, and any topcoat will stick to it.  

John

Thanks,