Woodnet Forums
Stereo in shop - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Stereo in shop (/showthread.php?tid=7333853)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Stereo in shop - Aram - 10-09-2017

A little off topic, maybe. My new shop is a 30 x 40 outbuilding. It's a single room, so my hand tool area is not physically separated from dust from my power tools. I have a good DC system and an air cleaner, but still, there is always some dust.

I am thinking about putting in a decent two channel stereo system (cd player, integrated or receiver, and a pair of floorstanders). Not sure the best way to handle the dust issue. I don't want to build a total enclosure, for heat management reasons. Any suggestions about a good way to keep dust out but let the amp soak in its own heat?

Thanks.

RE: Stereo in shop - Wipedout - 10-09-2017

I use a cheap stereo. It's lasted years in a small shop. 20 x25. I always figured with it being less than $100 that it would be no big deal when it died. It hasn't in over 7 years. Best thing I did was add an amazon echo dot to it. Allows me to stream, control the music choices with my voice. Voice pause next song etc. and sometimes I need a timer in the shop or alarm I can do that. Plus add to my shopping list when I needs supplies. I think it will be fine Just try to place it far from the dust as possible. Blow it out occasionally with some air. You'll get years out of it

RE: Stereo in shop - Dave Diaman - 10-09-2017

I have a repurposed Bose 3-2-1 in my shop and I just take my air compressor and blow it out every now and then. I have yet to have any issues with it or the powered subwoofer after 3 years. It also does a good job of projecting the sound around the shop. You could probably just put some filter media over the air outlets but I don’t think it is necessary.

RE: Stereo in shop - Admiral - 10-09-2017

Depending on how techie you are, I'm an Amazon Prime member and get Amazon music, I stream it from my phone to a JBL Bluetooth speaker sort of like this one

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Splashproof-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00Y3SD44E/ref=sr_1_21?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1507588792&sr=1-21&refinements=p_89%3AJBL

There are other manufacturers out there. Zero dust worries, reasonable sound and plenty loud enough, portable so you take it where you are working, and you can stream radio stations, MP3 music etc. from a tablet or smart phone as well. It helps to have wi fi in the shop. 

I have a cheap stereo with CD player in the shop but the JBL is all I've used for the last few years.

RE: Stereo in shop - Bobby Thompson - 10-09-2017

I have the internet in my shop so I use it with a soundbar. I can listen to any kind of music I want. I'm in Arkansas and listen to stations from California to Florida. Not to mention YouTube. I have a favorite channel that has over 200 songs on it. Kinda like having my own jukebox.

RE: Stereo in shop - Aram - 10-09-2017

LIL thanks guys. Internet radio and Amazon streaming are wonderful things, and they would be nice to have. But I have a huge CD collection and definitely will want to spin those. I also like quality audio gear -- and it's too easy to buy good stuff used these days. So for the sake of argument, suppose I end up with a conventional stereo. Just supposing. Like, something where I would care if the amp bit the dust. Any thoughts on that?

RE: Stereo in shop - 6270_Productions - 10-09-2017

I have speakers mounted in the ceiling.

The tuner is upstairs and wired to the ceiling lights - when they get turned on the stereo comes on.

Problems -

I can't change the station.  I don't care because I always listen to the same station.

I can't adjust the volume.  Sometimes this is a problem, when someone comes to visit and the music is too loud.

Sometimes the tuner loses its station (digital tuner).  I probably should install a new backup battery in the tuner.

RE: Stereo in shop - AHill - 10-09-2017

Bluetooth speakers.  You can even enclose them in plastic without danger of them overheating, or surround them with non-acoustic foam.  Keep the stereo out of the dust.  You can connect your Bluetooth speakers to either a stereo system or to your iPod / cell phone / computer.  Lots of options without having the main electronics in your shop.

RE: Stereo in shop - jteneyck - 10-09-2017

(10-09-2017, 06:29 PM)Aram Wrote: LIL thanks guys. Internet radio and Amazon streaming are wonderful things, and they would be nice to have. But I have a huge CD collection and definitely will want to spin those. I also like quality audio gear -- and it's too easy to buy good stuff used these days. So for the sake of argument, suppose I end up with a conventional stereo. Just supposing. Like, something where I would care if the amp bit the dust. Any thoughts on that?

I don't think it's an issue as long as the dust is non-conductive.  I have mine in my shop  and it's usually covered with dust.  No problems in 3 or 4 years though I don't have it on all that often.  Cover the air inlets with filter media as Dave said if you are really concerned. 

But if you work with any conductive material that is easily made airborne then don't put anything electronic in your shop unless it's sealed/filtered, etc. 

John

RE: Stereo in shop - lincmercguy - 10-09-2017

(10-09-2017, 06:29 PM)Aram Wrote: LIL thanks guys. Internet radio and Amazon streaming are wonderful things, and they would be nice to have. But I have a huge CD collection and definitely will want to spin those. I also like quality audio gear -- and it's too easy to buy good stuff used these days. So for the sake of argument, suppose I end up with a conventional stereo. Just supposing. Like, something where I would care if the amp bit the dust. Any thoughts on that?

CD players and dust don't mix too well.  You could find a marine or ag head unit and build a stereo with a 12V supply.  My thought would be to get whatever stereo makes sense and find a way to play your CD music via MP3.  You can rip the MP3's from your CD's, then play them on that stereo through anything that plays MP3's.  I have an old 90's stereo that sounds good.  Usually I just listen to the radio.  I would need to do a pretty major cleaning on it to get the CD player and tape player to work.  I do listen to Pandora once in a while.  I plug my cheapo tablet into the aux port.  I could just as easily play MP3s from that tablet too.  For dust, i just hit it with compressed air once in a while.

Another option could be the same approach with a DeWalt or similar radio.  Most have input jacks and could be a charger for the cordless tools at the same time.