Woodnet Forums
Pen making in an apartment - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Pen making in an apartment (/showthread.php?tid=7334347)

Pages: 1 2 3

Pen making in an apartment - stillgotten - 10-29-2017

My daughter has expressed interest for some time now in woodturning, pen making specifically.

I've been mulling the idea of getting her a mini lathe for x-mas problem is she lives on the second floor in an apartment complex and she's concerned about noise. 

Question basically is how noisy are these mini lathes if placed on a rubber mat or some sort of noise/vibration damping mat.

Has anyone that lives in apartment done this, or better yet has anyone lived next to someone in an apartment that has done this.

I've never used a mini lathe and only turned one thing in my life on a 80's era full size lathe so I know nothing of the subject, thanks for the help.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - Steve K - 10-29-2017

A wood lathe is one of the quietest machines to use. I can't imagine that noise would be an issue. Dust however will be a major concern and she will have to have some way to control that.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - Gary G™ - 10-29-2017

The mini's are very quiet--noise isn't the issue.
Dust--there's your concern.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - stillgotten - 10-29-2017

Good to hear they are not noisy but as you've pointed out she'll have to come up with a solution to the dust issue.

Is it dust or is it more chips, again this is small works, pen making and such no big pieces of wood spinning.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - gear jammer - 10-29-2017

Noise would be no problem. Dust is definitely a problem. A collector can be the noise source. A fan, hoses and vent out the window would be quiet but not efficient. Also a way to cut, drill, Trim, storage and depending on so many variables- space. You also have to remember the lathe is the cheapest part of this hobby. On the other hand it is cheaper than therapy and for me way more effective.

From the sound of all your replies it seems as though it's a lot more dust than I envision, might have to figure something else out.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - AHill - 10-29-2017

Dust won't be as big an issue compared to sanding bowls, but it's fairly manageable with a shop vac and a dust catcher you can hook it up to.  If it's acrylic pens, dust is even less of an issue.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - Arlin Eastman - 10-29-2017

(10-29-2017, 01:55 PM)AHill Wrote: Dust won't be as big an issue compared to sanding bowls, but it's fairly manageable with a shop vac and a dust catcher you can hook it up to.  If it's acrylic pens, dust is even less of an issue.

Bruce

Like Allan said doing pens are not a big dust problem and if she had a vacuum she could hook it up to collect dust and everyone would think she is a great housekeeper. There will be shavings tho and if she turns on a wood floor or other then carpet she can just sweep it up. Also if she is close to an air intake not to turn there or it will fill the filter after many turnings.

I would no encourage her to use CA at all but maybe some epoxy to seal the tubes in and some good Shellawax to make it nice.  Now if she is in an outside apartment and she has a balcony so can blow everything out the door with a fan in front of her.
Also if she may tell her neighbors she is making pens and bribe them to not notice anything she will give them a pen.

Also if you send me your address I will throw in some blanks.
Yes

She'd be turning on a linoleum tile floor, a breakfast nook (taught her well on the use of available space
Wink ) and, for now anyway, all she'd be doing is turning pen blanks so not much material. 

We all know how that goes though, start on something small and it blossoms into a world woodworking craziness.

Never knew of acrylic blanks, will have to point her in that direction also.

She does have a shop vac and maybe with my help might be able to fashion some sort of dust collection hood, I'll think that through in my mind.

Arlin, I appreciate the offer of pen blanks but I'll decline only because I know you do a lot of work with the disabled vets and I'd rather the recourses go there, thanks anyway, you're a good man.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - crokett™ - 10-29-2017

If she has a balcony, for a couple years in 2 different apartments my 'shop' was my apt balcony. I didn't do turning out there, but I did use a circular saw, router and a few other tools. She could turn outside and make a mess, then bring the lathe inside when she's not using it.