Woodnet Forums
Pen making in an apartment - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Pen making in an apartment (/showthread.php?tid=7334347)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Pen making in an apartment - stillgotten - 10-29-2017

(10-29-2017, 05:14 PM)crokett™ Wrote: If she has a balcony, for a couple years in 2 different apartments my 'shop' was my apt balcony.  I didn't do turning out there, but I did use a circular saw, router and a few other tools.    She could turn outside and make a mess, then bring the lathe inside when she's not using it.

Yeah, unfortunately no balcony.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - whatline - 10-29-2017

Dust when sanding and it really doesn't matter if the vac set up could suck the chrome off a bumper....dust will still appear everywhere. Chips aren't that big a deal to broom up. I doubt she'd be able to turn any acrylics. The odor may upset the neighbors. Has she taken a turning class yet? Maybe there's a makers space or alternate site. How bout the local turning club.?

(10-29-2017, 05:58 PM)whatline Wrote: Dust when sanding and it really doesn't matter if the vac set up could suck the chrome off a bumper....dust will still appear everywhere. Chips aren't that big a deal to broom up. I doubt she'd be able to turn any acrylics. The odor may upset the neighbors. Has she taken a turning class yet? Maybe there's a makers space or alternate site. How bout the local turning club.?

No she's taken no turning classes and I doubt there are any nearby but you never know. I think it would be great if there was, maybe meet a like minded person there as well...I will recommend your suggestion, it's a good one.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - Arlin Eastman - 10-29-2017

(10-29-2017, 04:13 PM)stillgotten Wrote: She'd be turning on a linoleum tile floor, a breakfast nook (taught her well on the use of available space
Wink ) and, for now anyway, all she'd be doing is turning pen blanks so not much material. 

We all know how that goes though, start on something small and it blossoms into a world woodworking craziness.

Never knew of acrylic blanks, will have to point her in that direction also.

She does have a shop vac and maybe with my help might be able to fashion some sort of dust collection hood, I'll think that through in my mind.

Arlin, I appreciate the offer of pen blanks but I'll decline only because I know you do a lot of work with the disabled vets and I'd rather the recourses go there, thanks anyway, you're a good man.

I have no pen kits right now and I have over 5000 pen blanks and maybe 500 acrylics which the guys really like.

All she needs is a home vacuum and a way to hold it up to the lathe if she has an attachment for a hose it will suck up any dust or shavings within 3" or more.  Also I have a jet pen lathe just for pens and I made mine to fit over a wheelchair arms.

When I get a building for all of us to work in Ed the owner of PSI told me he would give me 3 of these

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPAL.html

This also comes with a 2" hood so there is your suction part and variable speed for $199

RE: Pen making in an apartment - chips ahoy - 10-29-2017

She would also need a way to cut the blanks to size.Hand saw would be the best bet.

Mel

(10-29-2017, 06:29 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have no pen kits right now and I have over 5000 pen blanks and maybe 500 acrylics which the guys really like.

All she needs is a home vacuum and a way to hold it up to the lathe if she has an attachment for a hose it will suck up any dust or shavings within 3" or more.  Also I have a jet pen lathe just for pens and I made mine to fit over a wheelchair arms.

When I get a building for all of us to work in Ed the owner of PSI told me he would give me 3 of these

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPAL.html

This also comes with a 2" hood so there is your suction part and variable speed for $199
Oh wow that does everything she would need, I'll look further into that, thanks Arlin.
(10-29-2017, 06:57 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: She would also need a way to cut the blanks to size.Hand saw would be the best bet.

Mel

She'll have dad to cut blanks, it's what we do.
Yes

RE: Pen making in an apartment - Arlin Eastman - 10-30-2017

(10-29-2017, 07:08 PM)stillgotten Wrote: Oh wow that does everything she would need, I'll look further into that, thanks Arlin.

She'll have dad to cut blanks, it's what we do.
Yes

Bruce

I know how you feel.  I helped my oldest daughter who has 4 kids how to turn and she loves it, but no time at least until another 5 to 7 years and the youngest will be 9 so she will have a little more time.  I hope when she comes this thanksgiving she will do more with me.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - dartman1965 - 10-30-2017

I turned in an apartment for 7 years.The lathe was in the closet(two bifold doors),the shop vac and dust deputy was on a cart I made as was the 10 inch band saw.I always kept the door to the hall closed when I was turning as to not bother the neighbors.Upstairs or down I never had a complaint about noise and I asked the neighbors about it.I dont know what the floors (wood vs concrete)are but We had concrete floors and the lathe was just on the carpet.Dont think it would be a problem......

RE: Pen making in an apartment - AHill - 10-30-2017

If I’m a neighbor, I wouldn’t be too happy about someone using a balcony for turning. Chips and dust go everywhere, including onto my balcony.

RE: Pen making in an apartment - Dusty Workshop - 11-03-2017

Does she live close to you?
If so she's could drill and glue her pen blanks at your house.
Might be some good quality time together.