Woodnet Forums
Box joints on wide, longish boards - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Box joints on wide, longish boards (/showthread.php?tid=7334422)

Pages: 1 2

Box joints on wide, longish boards - Phydeaux - 11-01-2017

I want to build a blanket chest for my granddaughter as a wedding present. I want it to have a chance to become a family heirloom.

I've found a plan I believe I can handle except I'm not sure about how to do 5/8" wide box joints on a board about 15" wide and 38 inches long.

My Porter-Cable jig is limited to 1/2 inch box joints and 12" width.

I believe I understand how to make a relatively simple jig for my table saw and the cutting process. I'd go for a fairly tall fence for the miter gauge.

Is it reasonable to attempt such a process with a board that size? If not or I've missed a better way, I'd like suggestions.

RE: Box joints on wide, longish boards - Steve N - 11-01-2017

(11-01-2017, 03:44 PM)Phydeaux Wrote: I want to build a blanket chest for my granddaughter as a wedding present. I want it to have a chance to become a family heirloom.

I've found a plan I believe I can handle except I'm not sure about how to do 5/8" wide box joints on a board about 15" wide and 38 inches long.

I believe I understand how to make a relatively simple jig for my table saw and the cutting process. I'd go for a fairly tall fence for the miter gauge.

Is it reasonable to attempt such a process with a board that size? If not or I've missed a better way, I'd like suggestions.

Sent you a PM.

RE: Box joints on wide, longish boards - MichaelMouse - 11-04-2017

(11-01-2017, 03:44 PM)Phydeaux Wrote: I want to build a blanket chest for my granddaughter as a wedding present. I want it to have a chance to become a family heirloom.

Try this router jig. https://www.routerworkshop.com/boxjoints.html  Make to suit, and make your pusher "sled" leg and upright large enough to handle longer stock.  

No frustration from dado sets that won't cut a flat bottom, either!

RE: Box joints on wide, longish boards - rwe2156 - 11-08-2017

Yeah, you can do it they way you're thinking.

RE: Box joints on wide, longish boards - Steve N - 11-08-2017

I think bringing the tool to a big board is smarter than trying to bring a big board to the tool. A fella could get hurt.

Was Bob able to give you any help?

RE: Box joints on wide, longish boards - Cecil - 11-08-2017

Plans from the sponsor of these very forums!

[Image: photo-large.jpg]

I built one and use it a lot.  The fingers can be equally sized, or not.  I just need to ensure the minimum finger spacing is at least 1/2", since I am using a 1/2" top bearing bit.

Also, when I do a long piece, so I lay the jig on its side and put the work on top.  I have to use a spacer on the bench to prop up the opposite end of the board.

Plans here
https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/finger-joint-jig/

RE: Box joints on wide, longish boards - Richard D. - 11-08-2017

The box joint is more utilitarian and not appropriate for a nice blanket chest. You don't see nice antiques with box joints, always dovetails. I have used them on a nice toolbox but it doesn't sit in the bedroom.

RE: Box joints on wide, longish boards - TucsonLawrence - 11-09-2017

Maybe ask your local ww'ers club/guild if anyone has a Leigh or porter cable jig you can borrow?  I lent mine out recently and it came back with a new dovetail bit and a nice piece of madrona :
Smileand more importantly I made a new woodworking friend)

RE: Box joints on wide, longish boards - Steve N - 11-09-2017

I think they make a very nice look on cases, and that most recipients wouldn't know the difference between DT's or Box Joints.

[attachment=5651]

RE: Box joints on wide, longish boards - Phydeaux - 11-09-2017

(11-09-2017, 05:08 PM)Steve N Wrote: I think they make a very nice look on cases, and that most recipients wouldn't know the difference between DT's or Box Joints.

That's the chest I'm working on. I didn't get around to capturing a picture for here. Thanks, Steve N.