Woodnet Forums
Rust Hunt on a Monday? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Rust Hunt on a Monday? (/showthread.php?tid=7334948)

Rust Hunt on a Monday? - bandit571 - 11-21-2017

If that is when I have change in my pocket....
Rolleyes  
[attachment=5872]
Little bit rusty, and krusty?   Chisel's handle was in a different  box.....seemed to fit the chisel, though.  
Cool
[attachment=5873]
First saw the gear wheel's edge, I thought it might have been a Millers Falls No. 5     NOT.   Name on the crank's handle says Defiance  Made in USA....got it all cleaned up, oiled up, chuck loosened up....
[attachment=5874]
The four auger bits....one is a #5, the others are #4s....
[attachment=5875]
These were $1 a pair....in a coffee can full of bits.    These were the sizes I needed.
[attachment=5876]
Close up of the gear drive.    A few drops of 3in1 oil got things moving again.  

Chisel is an 1-1/4" wide firmer chisel, logo says it is a "clearcut" brand....Hardware Store brand?   I have a panel saw with the same logo...
Cool 

$20 + sales tax......may have to return to that store......someday...
Winkgrin

RE: Rust Hunt on a Monday? - Tynyyn - 11-22-2017

What are you going to use/do to get the rust off the egg beater?

RE: Rust Hunt on a Monday? - bandit571 - 11-22-2017

(11-22-2017, 06:31 AM)Tynyyn Wrote: What are you going to use/do to get the rust off the egg beater?
wire wheels, on both a grinder, and the drill press.

RE: Rust Hunt on a Monday? - Tynyyn - 11-22-2017

I've never liked a wire wheel on a drill press. I use a wheel on a hand drill to get into nooks and crannies. Be sure you use a "FINE" brass wheel and not the "Coarse" one. Makes a difference on the final appearance. Maybe hit it with a buffing wheel also. I like a white wheel and use green compound on it. I am anticipating some good results when you get finished. Hope you have fun with the rehab.

RE: Rust Hunt on a Monday? - DFJarvie - 11-22-2017

Instead of a wire wheel on a grinder get a HF buffer. There’s more room between the motor and end of the spindle to get at the hard to reach areas.

RE: Rust Hunt on a Monday? - bandit571 - 11-22-2017

Too late....already have wire wheeled it clean.    Mainly  used a large brass wire wheel in the drill press.    Fine wire one....
Cool 

Debating on whether to repaint the handles....Defiance used a gloss black, with a red gear.   Will need to sand the large handle smooth, first. 

Last one of the Defiance line was made about  1952.
Cool     Stanley then went to something called "Handyman" ( came from the North Brothers' line up)...eggbeater is almost the same as a Stanley 1550?
Confused
[attachment=5892]
a few looks..
[attachment=5893]
The wire wheels  can get down and clean out the teeth on the gears...
[attachment=5894]
Not the best...camera doesn't do Macro too well
No ....says "DEFIANCE"   Made in USA....as for that chisel's logo
[attachment=5895]
Says "CLEARCUT"   there was only one chisel in the stall, and only one chisel handle....seemed to be made for each other...
Rolleyes

RE: Rust Hunt on a Monday? - bandit571 - 11-23-2017

Maybe tomorrow,I can start on rehabbing that chisel....
Rolleyes  Might take  an afternoon?
Confused

Clearcut turned out to be a brand name used by The George Worthington Co.   of Cleveland, OH.  
Cool
Cool
Cool