Woodnet Forums
Best paint for enclosed windows? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Best paint for enclosed windows? (/showthread.php?tid=7335015)

Best paint for enclosed windows? - Wild Turkey - 11-24-2017

I've got some insulated window panes I'm going to use in my new shop.  They are 22"x 64" but only have about a 1/4" air gap so I'm concerned they won't have much insulation value.  I've got enough that I'm going to double them up in a "box" that I will insert between studs (24" oc).  The boxes will be grooved to fit the panes and slide into the opening.

My question is what paint should I use on the inside of the boxes?  I'm concerned that the paint will emit gasses and fog the windows when the sun hits them.

[Image: PZ9LBHP]imgur link to drawing  (since image doesn't seem to want to show up
Rolleyes  )

Or should I just leave the wood raw???
Confused

RE: Best paint for enclosed windows? - blackhat - 11-24-2017

I would cut a dado for the inside panel and use an applied retainer. You could remove the inside panel easily for cleaning and allow a coat of paint to fully cure before installing the inside panel.

Edit to add this would ease installation as the complete assemblies will be heavy.

RE: Best paint for enclosed windows? - Woodenfish - 11-25-2017

The best exterior paint I’ve ever used is Benjamin Moore Aura. Put it on bare wood window sashes and it has performed outstandingly for a few years now.

RE: Best paint for enclosed windows? - Roly - 11-25-2017

(11-24-2017, 03:03 PM)blackhat Wrote: I would cut a dado for the inside panel and use an applied retainer. You could remove the inside panel easily for cleaning and allow a coat of paint to fully cure before installing the inside panel.

Edit to add this would ease installation as the complete assemblies will be heavy.

I will second this approach.   Even without the out gassing issue some day it will need cleaning between the panes.   Roly

RE: Best paint for enclosed windows? - Cooler - 11-28-2017

(11-25-2017, 12:42 PM)Roly Wrote:  I will second this approach.   Even without the out gassing issue some day it will need cleaning between the panes.   Roly

I have a storm window for my picture window.  The groove that accepts the storm at the top is twice as deep as the one on the bottom.  

To install the storm I lift the storm up into the upper groove and then let it settle into the lower one.  

Thumb screws lock everything in place:

[Image: 61tj83STIbL._SY355_PIbundle-8,TopRight,0...5SH20_.jpg]

I think all storm windows are done this way.  The hardware is available from Amazon.com or Lowes or Home Depot.

Screen clips  might work even better (very cheap)

[Image: 61me1-XiGmL._SL1500_.jpg]